Northern Red Mite Issue. Nothing works

I’ve read good things about thyme and tea tree/eucalypt oils when it comes to controlling mites (and other insects). Not sure about ACV either but I wouldn’t be surprised. These are good deterrents but you need to spray directly on the bug to kill it, so not an effective strategy by itself. The best way to deal with mites is to take a multi-pronged approach.
Vinegar isn't safe to use on the chickens.Only on the coop or nests. I can't emphasis this enough.

Not having chickens would be a terrible shame given you've obviously enjoyed keeping them.
The multi thousand dollar fixed position forever coop is a bad idea. I'm not quite sure why that type of chicken keeping is so heavily promoted. I know big walk in coops are convenient for the keeper, and in some climates where the birds are confined to the coop it's a must.
Provided the chickens have an adequately sized run all they need a coop for is sleeping and laying eggs. You can see on my coop page the types of coops I've built over the years. Back here in the UK I have a recycled plasic coop which I've altered which may be an option for you, but with 19 chickens, you would need two of the size you see in the pictures. It cost £500.00 and the extension and alterations another £300.00. We had a mite problem last year because the perches are made of wood, something I intend to change soon. Just with the perches it took a couple of weeks to get rid of all the mites but it's doable with a coop like this.
View attachment 3769648View attachment 3769649View attachment 3769650
Teaching them to roost tonight. Love your mite free coop! I hope I can still have my chicken keeping dream

Vinegar isn't safe to use on the chickens.Only on the coop or nests. I can't emphasis this enough.
Sure the vinegar they use for cleaning is dangerous and probably the very acid types of vinegar are not safe too.

Natural apple cider vinegar is way less acid. I put some in their drinking water or through the crumble once a while. I’m sure they didn’t drop dead and they like the taste.
Never tried to clean them with ACV. The chickens use a sandbath for that matter.

We are working on ideas on how to heat the coop high enough to kill them but the run would be tough, it’s so open.

The mites will live as close to their food source as possible. Have you confirmed their presence in the run? Or is the structure connected so you would have to wrap it all up together?

The mites will live as close to their food source as possible. Have you confirmed their presence in the run? Or is the structure connected so you would have to wrap it all up together?
Yes they’re in the run and the outside of the coop too. My husband is convinced they’re in our house. See pic of coop with attached run.

Attachments

• IMG_1480.jpeg
    IMG_1480.jpeg
    724.9 KB · Views: 6
galvanized hardwareSure the vinegar they use for cleaning is dangerous and probably the very acid types of vinegar are not safe too.

Natural apple cider vinegar is way less acid. I put some in their drinking water or through the crumble once a while. I’m sure they didn’t drop dead and they like the taste.
Never tried to clean them with ACV. The chickens use a sandbath for that matter.
Vinegar stains natural wood, causes copper to turn green and galvanized steel to turn an orange rust color.Those who use it on an expensive coop may have to replace the hardware or metal parts

OUT OF COMPLETE DESPERATION and with a very similar problem I used some expired Advantage Cat Flea drops on my small flock. The poor hens were a mess, nothing worked, some had bald spots from pulling their feathers and they were laying soft eggs or no eggs and were lethargic.

Within a week, the hens were much more energetic. Within a month, my 3 year old chickens were acting like pullets. Three months later, I still have the awful mites on the coop even the day after spraying strong Permethrin solution. Got two soft eggs last week, so three months after the initial application, I just put a few drops on each chicken again last night.

I know it is off label. I know it is not a recommended treatment. I just want my chickens to be healthy and happy. Their coop might never be free of pests, but they are!

Sure the vinegar they use for cleaning is dangerous and probably the very acid types of vinegar are not safe too.

Straight vinegar dehydrates them causing them to die.There are several different strengths of vinegar but the most common here is 5%

A study published in the journal PLOS ONE demonstrates the effectiveness of acetic acid, the main component of vinegar, in inactivating severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).he causative pathogen of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, is a zoonotic RNA virus that causes a wide variety of symptoms in humans, ranging from mild flu-like symptoms to fatal pneumonia and multiorgan failure.
https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...al-effects-of-vinegar-against-SARS-CoV-2.aspx

Back
Top Bottom