Northerners--where do you brood your winter chicks?

I ALWAYS brood mine in the house, year 'round for the first few weeks (like 2-3). That way, I can bond with them, handle them lots, make sure everyone is eating/drinking, their bums are cleaned, etc. That part is not up for discussion! He sort of tolerates that...

I had a bantam salmon faverolle cockerel in the master bathroom (in the bathtub, in a rubbermaid tub) for 6 weeks! He was badly frostbitten on his toes and needed daily meds & foot/cage cleaning...hubby complained, A LOT but got over it!
smile.png

The ONLY reason I'm even CONSIDERING hatching in the next few weeks is because I "found" some mille cochin eggs! I have been working on my own project but wanted some outside ones for new blood (so I can have two pens) and FINALLY found some! I almost passed out when I saw the posting!
ya.gif
Although I have not told hubby what I am paying for them...well, truth be told, I have not even told hubby eggs are coming! LOL
hide.gif
I do not want the opporunity to get away from me--so I snatched them up! The good thing is that they will be all feathered & beautimus come spring time--so they can go right out in the coops and should be laying by fall!

" HOW THE HECK DO YOU TALK YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER INTO BRINGING BIRDS IN THE HOUSE???? "

OK, I'm confused...I was suppost to talk with him about it first??
That must not have been in the vows I heard 19 years ago - I just brought them in and ignored him.

I had to put up with smelly deer hunting clothes, fish bait in my washer after a weekend out with the boys on the boat, and really interesting striped BVD's - there ain't gonna EVER be talkin' about my baby birds in the house!!!

I'll be brooding chicks in my basement this year.

"HOW THE HECK DO YOU TALK YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER INTO BRINGING BIRDS IN THE HOUSE?????

big_smile.png

My hubby is a city boy. I just told him that everybody broods chicks in the house. He doesn't know any different.
lau.gif

Quote:
shelleyb what size opening do you have to let the new chicks escape to? I need to set up a brooder in my existing coop in the barn to make room for the next generation of hatchlings and this is a great idea

also have furnace filters on my list for the next trip to town
big_smile.png

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom