Northwest Florida newbies

Welcome to BYC. I'm sorry for your loss.
It sounds like a dog, but if it came in through the top, that isn't possible.
Pictures of your run would be very helpful. If you can, use a game camera in the area.
I would lock them in the coop, when you are not home, until you can figure out what is getting in.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Sorry for you loss.
I agree with @janiedoe about posting some pictures of your setup. The basic rule is that the birds should be contained in a coop and run with no openings larger than 1/2". Some of the nastiest predators can get through holes as small as 3/4".

Welcome to BYC. I'm sorry for your loss.
It sounds like a dog, but if it came in through the top, that isn't possible.
Pictures of your run would be very helpful. If you can, use a game camera in the area.
I would lock them in the coop, when you are not home, until you can figure out what is getting in.
Yes, that's what has us stumped. We thought a cat maybe since it left the body, but I read that they don't usually attack full grown birds and I can't picture a cat attacking six chickens at once. I would have thought a fox or racoon would have gotten something to eat for its troubles.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Sorry for you loss.
I agree with @janiedoe about posting some pictures of your setup. The basic rule is that the birds should be contained in a coop and run with no openings larger than 1/2". Some of the nastiest predators can get through holes as small as 3/4".

Attachments

• IMG20221202063110.jpg
    IMG20221202063110.jpg
    589.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG20221202063145.jpg
    IMG20221202063145.jpg
    922.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG20221202063227.jpg
    IMG20221202063227.jpg
    758.6 KB · Views: 1
The bird netting isn't very visible in the pictures, but it covers over like a roof and down the cattle guard fencing to the chicken wire. There was a section loose and not covered, enough for two of the five remaining chickens to escape the enclosure somehow (adrenaline?) during the attack. It's obviously not sufficient, but we were only considering hawks as daytime predators. 🤦‍♀️

I definitely would leave them locked in the coop while not home. Whatever it was, it will be back. Even some small dogs can and will climb with enough motivation.
There are so many predators that could access your birds in that set up. I'm not trying to be insulting, but it is what it is. If you can find a 10x10 kennel for cheap on Craigslist, you can use a smaller wire to wrap it.

Back
Top Bottom