Northwesterners! Give me your coping strategies!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Xtina, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    So I'm suffering from a distinct lack of sunshine in my life. It's July 2 and it's about 55 and rainy, just like it has been since November with a few breaks of sunshine in between. I've lived in Oregon for 5 years and I have previously lived in Washington for about 2, so I'm no stranger to the Northwest, but this is getting ridiculous. I feel like I'm having a freak-out today. I love the Northwest and don't think I could ever move, but I'm in dire need of some help dealing with this horrible horrible weather. What do you guys do?

2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Not up yonder, but we had an insane amount of gray days down here during the summer, fall (what? fall in Texas?) and winter... it was MADDENING... depressing... just wanted to run screaming to Bermuda....

Never did conquer it, so any suggestions appreciated from this end too.

3. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Well, while I haven't gotten anything from the BYCers yet, I talked to a co-worker who had these pointers:

1. Raise up all the blinds in the house. No closed or drawn curtains.
    2. Start taking vitamins. Specifically B-complex, D, and iron.

I think this is good advice.

4. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    I grew up in San Diego and moved to pOrtland. I felt the same way you do and still do when it gets really gloomy.

I close all the drapes so I don't see the gloom, tuen on all the lights, do some baking, put on a fun movie or upbeat music and sew.

5. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I feel your pain. At least I did till Wednesday, when the clouds FINALLY blew away! I haven't even started my garden yet [​IMG]

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Here in West Michigan, we can have weeks upon weeks in the winter where we hardly have any sunshine (it's all clouds and snow...). I have mild SAD (seasonal affective disorder), and have tried a number of things to battle the lethargy/listlessness that I feel as a result. One thing I've done is invest in a sunlight replacement lamp. You can also get "natural sunlight" bulbs for the lamps and lights in your home.

Here is some info about SAD from the Mayo Clinic. Some of the remedies might work for you: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/seasonal-affective-disorder/DS00195

7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Some great ideas! Thank You!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by