1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

not 2 days & 1 chick dead 2 in box

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mom2to, Jun 28, 2011.

1. mom2to

mom2to Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    harrison
    is it me or my chickens? does anyone else have this problem: my chickens would rather sit on their nest than call it good and show the chicks that hatched how to eat/drink. how soon do you throw away the "extra" eggs and make them see that's all the chicks they are getting? i had three hatch and one was on the ground outside dead, one was on the ground outside alive, and one was under the chicken still. i got the two chicks and put them in a box in the house and left her with her eggs.

pic of 2 chicks in box
    [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Not all hens make good mothers. Some do, some don't. And you can't teach the hens either. I have never tried hatching eggs under a broody, but many folks on here have. And many times the hens do exactly as you have described, sometimes killing the babies.

So I would raise these babies by yourself and let the hens "play house" without the real thing....chicks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by