Not a bad hatch. What percent would 9 out of 11 be?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickensNpoodles, Dec 19, 2010.

1. chickensNpoodles

chickensNpoodles Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2010
    Well today was hatch day for my Black and Blue Austalorps. I started out with 14, but had 1 not fertile, 2 early quitters and then 2 that did not pip (internally). So out of 11 eggs that made it to lock down, only 9 hatched. It was a pretty good hatch but I hate not getting 100%. Why would they not pip internally?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Almost an 82% hatch. Congrats!

Some just don't make it and it's natures way of making certain of survival of the fittest.

Those last minute quitters are always the ones that break your heart.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  3. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Quote:Seriously given the enormity of things that can and do go wrong with artificial incubation this is an AWESOME SUCCESS RATE!!! Congratulations!
    Now pics please!

4. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Sorry don't know much about hatching chicks. 9 out of 11 is about 82% and I think that is really good!!

Bootsie

5. Nodaksnakelover

Nodaksnakelover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    North Dakota
    over the years of doing this here and there, I was happy when I got half to hatch, so your doing awesome! Artificial incubation is not a sure thing! Good to hear your doing so well! I've yet to approach 80 percent! Best I've done is 65 percent.

6. CorgiHouse

CorgiHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Boring, OR
    Quote:That's wonderful that you got such a good hatch! And not trying to diminish your great results in any way, but aren't the hatch percentages figured from the total number of eggs you put in the incubator at the start? So it would be figured as how many out of the 14 originals put in? I'm new to hatching and just trying to make sense out of all the info here. Thanks and congrats again!! I'll be excited if I get half that many on my first hatch. [​IMG]

7. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Thats about 80%. Thats a good hatch. Congradulations!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by