(Not a dire emergency, but need advice) What to do for my flock and the heat?

Thank you so much, for all these suggestions, I feel terrible, because we have no AC, so I doubt the hens feel much better!

Me too, I hope they all are okay.

I have put two large crockpot bowls in the henhouse, should that do?
Or should I go down and put ice bottles in their buckets in the hen house?
I think you have to decide that for yourself. We have told you what WE do. When I feel my chickens' water and it's warm or hot on a hot day, I think, I probably would not want to drink that. So I want to do something to make it more appealing to my hens. Right now I'm getting 13 to 16 eggs a day out of 19 hens. If they get too hot, they'll quit laying. It's worth a little extra effort to try to keep them comfortable. Good luck!

I think you have to decide that for yourself. We have told you what WE do. When I feel my chickens' water and it's warm or hot on a hot day, I think, I probably would not want to drink that. So I want to do something to make it more appealing to my hens. Right now I'm getting 13 to 16 eggs a day out of 19 hens. If they get too hot, they'll quit laying. It's worth a little extra effort to try to keep them comfortable. Good luck!
I agree with all of it, dont worry!

I might have to brave the dark and do it, I still have to bring the dog in from her run!
I want to do everything I can! So ice cubes in the water, can do, water in the shade, done, and water in their henhouse, done!

I will take Ice cubes and dump it into the buckets in the hen house since they are all locked in there for the night. We did it since we have young ones that we don't want getting out and eaten.

Last edited:
Well... chickens don't eat or drink at night, you know. So they really don't need water in the hen house. Unless you can't let them out early, like shortly after daylight. They do need water in the morning when they start moving around and come off the roosts.

Well... chickens don't eat or drink at night, you know. So they really don't need water in the hen house. Unless you can't let them out early, like shortly after daylight. They do need water in the morning when they start moving around and come off the roosts.
We are getting up really early tomorrow, so I will let them out then.

Back
Top Bottom