Not a emergency, just a question about pain killers

Hi! I have a quick question about pain killers and chickens... why can't we use them?

It's not all pain killers, it's specifically local anesthetics like lidocaine. It has to do with the balance of absorption and elimination rates. I think it's something like birds both absorb it too easily and it hangs around in their systems too long potentially leading to toxicity. Apparently, it is possible to use -caine type stuff on birds but appropriate levels are difficult to pin down depending on the species, so it's best to avoid them if you don't have specialized training/education for such things.

It's not all pain killers, it's specifically local anesthetics like lidocaine. It has to do with the balance of absorption and elimination rates. I think it's something like birds both absorb it too easily and it hangs around in their systems too long potentially leading to toxicity. Apparently, it is possible to use -caine type stuff on birds but appropriate levels are difficult to pin down depending on the species, so it's best to avoid them if you don't have specialized training/education for such things.
Oh that makes sense! Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom