Not a happy day in chickenland

journey11

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 14, 2009
WV
Ugh...what a rough day I've had with my chickens. I had my first ever chicken sickness in two years of chickens happen today. Symptoms suggested gapeworm. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=244522 I think I have that under control now.

Then when I got home from church this evening and went to check on her, upon looking in my nest boxes to see if the others happened to lay any eggs while I was gone, I found 2 eggs halves that had been clearly eaten. I think yesterday had been the first occurance. I found a thin shelled egg that seemed to have been smashed, but I wasn't suspicious then.

I collect eggs several times a day and have always quickly cleaned up any roost pit eggs or jelly eggs when the new layers were just getting started. I am so bummed out.
hit.gif
sad.png

One I'm trying to keep alive...and one I'm going to clobber (I think I know the culprit)!!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your struggles! Tomorrow will be a better day....I wouldn't get too concerned yet about the eggs. I have had ones that ate eggs that were soft-shelled. Once the eggs firmed up, there was never a problem. Get on it right away by upping their protein, making sure they have oystershell at all times, and stuff to keep them busy and out of trouble. And of course collect eggs often.

Back
Top Bottom