Not a pet but thinks he is!

ericsgirlie

Songster
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Easton, MD
My daughter rescued a baby grackle ( not a fledgling and baby who fell from a nest and only had blood feathers) Now he is released but will not leave us alone. We come out of the house and he flies on our head and follows us to be fed. HELP, LOL!

Lauea

lol.png
Serves ya right. Put some cat food down for him maybe?

If you raise a single bird, a lot of times they get very attached to people! I would just get used to it and warn your neighbors! Eventually he might go off with some other birds, but chances are he thinks you guys are his friends/flockmates. Grackles are neat though! They are related to crows and i had one years ago. We lived in a populated neighborhood though and had to give him to a rehabilitation center.

my expereince with "song birds" grackles are officially song birds is once released it usualy takes a few seasons before they "mature" and take their own path in life...so youll probbaly be stuck with this little guy for a while untill he finds a mate and moves on.
as long as he is eating on his own hell be fine...
in this cas though id suggest putting a little bowl of wild bird seed or crushed cat food out for him, lightening bugs arnt realy food of choice as they are incredibly bitter (and mildly poisenous) so it sounds like hes not quite mastered the arts of being a big bird yet lol.

Yes, so we have heard. Yes our neighbor has been warned, LOL. We had a nest of 6 starlings before this . They stayed for about 2 weeks after release and then went to do bird things. We heard them for about 1 month and they would call back but not come. This lonesome one, not so
smile.png
He is fun but obnoxious. He does not have manners
smile.png

I love grackles. One I raised stayed in the house with me and would follow me room to room, gliding behind once feathers started coming in. They're sweet, smart, lovable birds and make excellent companions.

Back
Top Bottom