Not A Poll Just Curious

I have 3 different breeds of hen: Olive Egger (Betty Sue), Buff Braham (Ellie Mae) and a very demanding but sweet Black English Orpington (Bobbi Jo). I researched to find the most docile breed i could find for family chickens. Even though it is just me i love my girls and i am building coop number 3 because i just cant decide which i like better..lol

Both! We have one rooster with 3 girls of same breed in their own pen. The main flock is all varied breeds and a few mixed breeds (secretive broody momma hatched eggs). My kid shows in 4H, so they are judged according to APA (but it’s not an APA show). There are 12 available categories of regular birds (as I recall), but can submit entries into a max 8 categories. Kid always signs up for 8 categories, so we plan prior year for the next year. We get chicks 2-3x per year, and sell at auction approx 2x per year bc of the turnover. Only a couple more years of this…then maybe we will focus on one or two breeds or just have varied breeds.

Having the one breed in a pen is nice bc can really focus on traits and which is a really good example, or nice size bc they are all the same breed.

I have two mixed flocks one bantam and one dual purpose heritage breeds.
I keep my dual purpose flock with the same temperament and place in the pecking order.
BO, Buckeyes, salmon faverolles, ameraucauna,
bantams, silkies,Old english game, golden laced Cochin.

4 years and going strong. I keep a silkie rooster, old English game rooster crele and 3 salmon faverolle roosters.
I place groups in spring for breeding one month out of the year.

I have ten Buff Orpington hens with a gorgeous heritage RIR rooster, and 19 of their chicks in the brooder. Curious how the cross will turn out. In August, I have some Whiting True Blue chicks coming. I've had those before, and really liked them; they are smaller, cost less to feed, and lay more eggs than the big Buffs. I want to grow out a few generations of the Buff/RIR crosses and see how I like them, but I think the WTB's will be our main flock.

I'm echoing the most common sentiment here, I feel, but I enjoy the variety of having various breeds very much. All the different colors, temperaments, sizes and shapes, and the rainbow of egg colors they produce. :love I have an abundance of Cochin bantams now because I've started breeding them more seriously as of this year, but I don't think I could ever go purely to them and them alone.

Do you enjoy/have a mixed flock of different breeds or do you keep one breed? Me, I like to have at the most 2 breeds keeping them segregated and rotating free range. At this time I have Blk Aus but the pull of getting back to some RIRs , my all time favorite is really gnawing at me.
I like a mixed group of chickens that offer different color eggs.

I'm a first time chicken owner. I have 15 chickens. 14 pullets, 1 cockerel. They all hatched on August 28th, 2022. I bought 10 different breeds, because I wanted a variety of egg colors. Plus it gives me experience with different breeds. I ordered them all at the same time through Meyers and had them all sexed, with 100% accuracy. I'd love to expand my flock and add more breeds to the mix. On top of hatching out some Ameraucanas and Olive Eggers of my own.

For pullets I have:
1x Blue (BBS) Ameraucana
1x Buff Orpington
1x Cream Legbar
1x Rhode Island Red
1x Black Jersey Giant
1x Frizzled Easter Egger
2x Fibro Easter Eggers
2x Black Copper Marans
2x Buff Brahmas
2x Cookies & Cream
And my cockerel is a Blue (BBS) Ameraucana.

Attachments

• 20230515_220258.jpg
    20230515_220258.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230430_001518.jpg
    20230430_001518.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230226_145612.jpg
    20230226_145612.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom