NOT an ameraucana

This is awesome. I didn't know Easter eggers could vary in size too.😃

Oh, definitely! Some of them are based on Legbar mixes and look completely different than what most people picture as an Easter-egger! Since 'Easter-egger' is more of a colloquialism than a term with a definite definition, Easter-eggers literally can look like anything at all. The common factor only seems to be having ancestry with the blue egg shell gene.

So if you cross an Easter egger hen with a brown egg layer roo, would the chicks lay different colors? Or just brown. I'm new to Easter eggers.

It really depends on what genes are being brought into the picture by both parents. If your Easter-egger hen has two copies of the blue shell gene, then all of her offspring will inherit one copy of it and her daughters with a brown egg rooster will lay shades of green. If she only has one copy of the blue shell gene, only half of her offspring inherit it from her, so half of her daughters would be green eggers and half brown eggers. The shades would depend on if she's a green egger as well or a blue egger, and what brown genes the rooster has. My understanding is that there are a ton of genes controlling brown color on eggs, so there's a whole lot of variablity there.

Chicken feet are disturbing enough on their own. I haven't owned silkies before, but I'm talking 2-3 extras here.
Like this?
1652987203582.png

Oh, definitely! Some of them are based on Legbar mixes and look completely different than what most people picture as an Easter-egger! Since 'Easter-egger' is more of a colloquialism than a term with a definite definition, Easter-eggers literally can look like anything at all. The common factor only seems to be having ancestry with the blue egg shell gene.

It really depends on what genes are being brought into the picture by both parents. If your Easter-egger hen has two copies of the blue shell gene, then all of her offspring will inherit one copy of it and her daughters with a brown egg rooster will lay shades of green. If she only has one copy of the blue shell gene, only half of her offspring inherit it from her, so half of her daughters would be green eggers and half brown eggers. The shades would depend on if she's a green egger as well or a blue egger, and what brown genes the rooster has. My understanding is that there are a ton of genes controlling brown color on eggs, so there's a whole lot of variablity there.
You have a lot of great info here😃 thank you for answering all my questions 👍

Back
Top Bottom