Not an egg, not poop either

Mayokay

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2021
I checked my chicken house this morning and found a lump of a white thing. I broke it open and it looks like cooked red pate. Has anyone had this before? It looks like the outer layer is some chicken fat.
60FCDAB0-9F98-4022-A285-ADA31D02A72E.jpeg
6570F11E-5470-4658-9A81-B720BB27DDF5.jpeg

No idea, but that can't be good! Bump.

ETA: Did some more reading and now I know - looks like a lash egg to me. Better post on the Emergencies forum if you don't get more responses here. Your hen may need some serious antibiotics.

Last edited:
No idea, but that can't be good! Bump.

ETA: Did some more reading and now I know - looks like a lash egg to me. Better post on the Emergencies forum if you don't get more responses here. Your hen may need some serious antibiotics.
Thanks! it must be that. Now I need to figure out who laid it. I have 12 chickens and they all look normal to me.

Thanks! it must be that. Now I need to figure out who laid it. I have 12 chickens and they all look normal to me.
put different colored food coloring on each one's vent. it should smear onto the egg while they lay. Then you can match the egg with the chicken. Never done this myself, but it's a common recommendation. Or you can isolate them individually and check eggs as they lay them.

Back
Top Bottom