Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Thank you.  It is encouraging.  My pullet is standing on her own now, but doesn't walk much.  I'd say she is slightly better now than she was yesterday.  I think she has hip problems that were compounded by a rooster twice her size jumping on her back.  Of course I have not ruled Marek's out yet, but it is looking less likely at this point.  
I would agree that it isn't likely Mareks and it sounds like she is getting better!

Yes sometime near the beginning of June or late May. Well I was going to have her put down the middle of June right before we were to go on vacation but she showed signs of improvement (yay, but) so my sister agreed to come and feed her as much water and food as she could once a day. She actually started to improve! I felt like if she was improving I had to stick with it. If I could just get her to eat on her own it would be great!

Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear about Olivia.  :(   I hope the Metacam and Curcimin help her a bit.  Can I buy Metacam at the store?  I've been giving my pullet St. John's Wort because the hypericum apparently offers some pain relief.  Not sure if it does any good either, but since there is little known about successfully treating chicken illness it isn't going to hurt to try.  I do think our pullet is a tiny bit better today.  Sometimes she curls her toes, but other times she get them opened and stands normally.  I'm hoping at this point she has a soft tissue injury that will just take time to heal.  Need to do some more research...thank goodness for BYC forum!  

I got the Metacam from my vet. Prior to that I was using baby aspirin. I also tried the St. Johns Wort (hypericum perforatum 30x). I read it had to be mixed with Distilled water, couldn't use a metal spoon, couldn't touch the pill, she couldn't eat or drink anything 30 mins before or after. Not sure if any of that is accurate.

Once we identified the abnormal cells, I switched to Curcumin with bioprene because of the studies I've read with T-cell lymphocytes. No idea if it is working, it might be since Olivia is still with us. I know that it won't "cure" her but possibly extend her quality of life a bit.

Hopefully in your case, it is just an injury that will heal over time.

Last edited:
Yes sometime near the beginning of June or late May. Well I was going to have her put down the middle of June right before we were to go on vacation but she showed signs of improvement (yay, but) so my sister agreed to come and feed her as much water and food as she could once a day. She actually started to improve! I felt like if she was improving I had to stick with it. If I could just get her to eat on her own it would be great!

That's a pretty long time. I think with the one I kept working with for 3 months -I think I got more and more attached to him as I continued to care for him. The other one was vaccinated, got paralysis at 6 weeks, but ate on her own, and after another 6 weeks of her walking improving ,actually started walking again, and went on to lay eggs. I think the vaccine had a lot to do with that.

since the end of may or first of june. At her worst she could not stand and did not peck for food but I could put it in her mouth and she would eat it, Now she can stand, turn in a circle and now can go a little forward. She actively pecks for food but has no accuracy in her aim. She was so skinny but has started filling out as she's improved physically. I will try to get a weight tomorrow. I am hoping that since she does peck for food that if I continue to hold it in the same place and slightly guide her she could relearn her aim.

since the end of may or first of june. At her worst she could not stand and did not peck for food but I could put it in her mouth and she would eat it, Now she can stand, turn in a circle and now can go a little forward. She actively pecks for food but has no accuracy in her aim. She was so skinny but has started filling out as she's improved physically. I will try to get a weight tomorrow. I am hoping that since she does peck for food that if I continue to hold it in the same place and slightly guide her she could relearn her aim.
Wow you have kept with it for awhile, I would have euthanized the chicken by now

Back
Top Bottom