Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

The mash was a hit, all 19 chicks had at least a few bites of it, and their water is medicated too. Hopefully I caught this soon enough! Wouldn't be worried if it weren't for the ameraucanas and Silkie. My marans and maran mixes seem to be tough as iron, these blue egg layers on the other hand... Had 1 out of 6 survive last year.

Well, update! Day two and the sick chick has greatly improved, and no others have shown symptoms. Now tonight I start deworming the adults with safeguard equine paste. A pea size two days in a row, then again after ten days, correct?

Well, update! Day two and the sick chick has greatly improved, and no others have shown symptoms. Now tonight I start deworming the adults with safeguard equine paste. A pea size two days in a row, then again after ten days, correct?
Glad your chick looks better!

I'm not sure about the safeguard. I used the goat dewormer and gave .5ml for five days in a row. There are different protocols for deworming though.

Glad your chick looks better!

I'm not sure about the safeguard. I used the goat dewormer and gave .5ml for five days in a row. There are different protocols for deworming though.

Well, it worked when I had worm infested puppies, so I guess it will work for them too
big_smile.png
. they might just hate my guts right now though.... chasing down 30 chickens and ducks is NOT pleasant!

Been gone for a week. I had to cull the little legbar hen before I left. She finally stopped eating and was wing walking, plus the flock was starting to run her off. poor baby. Both her sibs had mareks too (one diagnosed, one a confident guess). Right now everyone else is looking good.

thanks, I wish none of us had these experiences.

I'm also wishing for a week of healthy chickens - but now I have a year old hen who has ascites. She has been laying soft shell eggs, and occasionally has had a soft shell hanging out of her vent. started straining a day ago and now has a belly of water. It sure came on suddenly!

My question is whether this is likely mareks related? I'm thinking she has always had egg laying issues - sometimes double yolk, sometimes soft shell... IBut my understanding about ascites, which is admittedly not great, is that it an be related to cancer. I hate this because I know I am going to have to cull her as well.

thanks, I wish none of us had these experiences.

I'm also wishing for a week of healthy chickens - but now I have a year old hen who has ascites. She has been laying soft shell eggs, and occasionally has had a soft shell hanging out of her vent. started straining a day ago and now has a belly of water. It sure came on suddenly!

My question is whether this is likely mareks related? I'm thinking she has always had egg laying issues - sometimes double yolk, sometimes soft shell... IBut my understanding about ascites, which is admittedly not great, is that it an be related to cancer. I hate this because I know I am going to have to cull her as well.

I understand that ascities is a secondary problem with various causes (often reproductive, in hens)? So it could be a number of things. We have to remember that Marek's is great at suppressing the immune system, so even minor issues can become life-threatening. What breed is she? Based on your description, I'd peg her problems more on her reproductive issues than anything. That is, sadly, the fate of many of our hens whose breeds and lineages have been selected (mostly at hatcheries but not always) for egg productivity over longevity.

Back
Top Bottom