Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

I'm not concerned with my broody chicks being smaller, I just thought it was an interesting observation.

Not only are the chicks in the brooder a ton bigger, but they are also a lot more developed. I've been able to tell for a week who is a pullet and who is a cockerel. The chicks with the broody hen still look like babies and are showing no sign of gender determination. LOL

Last edited:
I'm not concerned with my broody chicks being smaller, I just thought it was an interesting observation.

Not only are the chicks in the brooder a ton bigger, but they are also a lot more developed. I've been able to tell or a week who is a pullet and who is a cockerel. The chicks with the broody hen still look like babies and are showing no sign of gender determination. LOL
hmmmm, verrry intersting (best german scientist voice) lol.
I'm a noticer too :)

Well darn it! I was hoping to get through a whole month without losing a bird. Unfortunately I had to cull the last of my broody raised pullets this morning. Estel made it to 28 weeks and laid her last egg on Sunday. When she was about 10 weeks old she began coughing and I thought for sure she wouldn't make it. The cough lasted about a month. Just when I was about to cull her, it went away. She seemed totally normal and began to lay eggs. Her sister, who was always bigger and feistier, became suddenly ill with respiratory distress and died at 20 weeks. Since then Estel has been kind of a loner but did manage to make friends with some of the younger (vaccinated) pullets. Yesterday at lunch time she was totally normal and out eating with the flock. That night I couldn't find her in the coop. She had nested in a bale of hay. She felt very warm and was open mouth breathing. It seemed like the likely tumor problems she had as a youngster were bothering her again. I gave her some Tylan and she made her way up on to a roost in the pullet coop. This morning she didn't come down to eat and her wings were droopy. Too weak to walk or eat, I had to cull her.

Fly free with your sister pretty girl.

oh no.. I am so sorry!
I'm sorry too! It doesn't seem to get easier.
hugs.gif

Well darn it! I was hoping to get through a whole month without losing a bird. Unfortunately I had to cull the last of my broody raised pullets this morning. Estel made it to 28 weeks and laid her last egg on Sunday. When she was about 10 weeks old she began coughing and I thought for sure she wouldn't make it. The cough lasted about a month. Just when I was about to cull her, it went away. She seemed totally normal and began to lay eggs. Her sister, who was always bigger and feistier, became suddenly ill with respiratory distress and died at 20 weeks. Since then Estel has been kind of a loner but did manage to make friends with some of the younger (vaccinated) pullets. Yesterday at lunch time she was totally normal and out eating with the flock. That night I couldn't find her in the coop. She had nested in a bale of hay. She felt very warm and was open mouth breathing. It seemed like the likely tumor problems she had as a youngster were bothering her again. I gave her some Tylan and she made her way up on to a roost in the pullet coop. This morning she didn't come down to eat and her wings were droopy. Too weak to walk or eat, I had to cull her.

Fly free with your sister pretty girl.

So sorry, this disease is a heartbreaker. Fooling us all the time.

Advice please?
I have eggs under a broody mama (unk vac status, she is 10 months) roo is probably same. Eggs are from 1 to 2+ year EE's(unk vac status) and the 2 D'uccles. I really didn't expect them to hatch....

Today is the day, and there are 4 pips so far!

The vaccine should arrive today or tomorrow? I ordered Sunday.

Im not sure about handling the logistics of vaccinating these babies? Do I do in the day? at night? Take em from momma and do in the house? or set up in the pen?

What works best for people? Because of the time factor, I have never handled a needle in my life, watched plenty with horses....

I guess it can't take 30 minutes to wrestle 6 babies...

Thank you in advance for the input!

ETA: I expect to stab myself a ton!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom