Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Well my vet was awesome. She took
A full flock history and then a history on my individual little guy that was down. After all was said and done and after looking at X-rays it did appear he had trauma to his spinal cord, probably from my other silkie roo. I had him put down. I feel horrible for it but I think I did the right thing. My vet made a call to purdue and they will do a necropsy free of charge to rule out other causes. I have a friend that wants one of my birds but I'm not bringing any birds in or letting them leave until tests are back. Better safe than sorry. I'm pretty sad. I never get used to losing a bird.

Sorry for your loss. I'm hoping it was just an injury, not Mareks.

Thanks everyone. We're pretty devastated. Awful waking up this morning without her. The vet was lovely. He gave her some gas so she didn't feel the needle. He was positive it was Marek's. Now just hoping Ruby will be ok. The vet said it would take her a month to accept that Tunes is gone and accept another chicken, so she'll be on her own for a while if the disease doesn't claim her too. Pretty awful seeing her call for Tunes. Heartbreaking all round at our place this morning.

Thanks everyone. We're pretty devastated. Awful waking up this morning without her. The vet was lovely. He gave her some gas so she didn't feel the needle. He was positive it was Marek's. Now just hoping Ruby will be ok. The vet said it would take her a month to accept that Tunes is gone and accept another chicken, so she'll be on her own for a while if the disease doesn't claim her too. Pretty awful seeing her call for Tunes. Heartbreaking all round at our place this morning.
I'm so sorry.

A full flock history and then a history on my individual little guy that was down. After all was said and done and after looking at X-rays it did appear he had trauma to his spinal cord, probably from my other silkie roo. I had him put down. I feel horrible for it but I think I did the right thing. My vet made a call to purdue and they will do a necropsy free of charge to rule out other causes. I have a friend that wants one of my birds but I'm not bringing any birds in or letting them leave until tests are back. Better safe than sorry. I'm pretty sad. I never get used to losing a bird.

I am so very sorry to hear this. It seems that you did the right thing for your chicken. I am very glad Purdue is doing the testing for you, please let us know how it turns out. Very smart to keep no birds in or out until you find out.

Deb

Julie, I am so very sorry. Yes, you did the right thing and yes, it hurts and will for a while, but with an injury the chances of recovery are slim and quality of life is the more important consideration. I am glad to see the necropsy is being done as well. I hope you will still consider doing the vaccinations on your birds who are still with you. Some peace of mind can be bought for $20. You are also doing the right thing with nothing in or out. Wish more would do the same.

Oh, I am so sorry...

With all the pages on this topic, I hope you decided to cull these poor birds :-(

There was an outbreak of this from a woman I bought chicks from (mine were all fine, other than the two that died I got from her). I mentioned it after finding out many other people she sold chicks to going through the same symptoms of paralysis and such. I was basically ignored :-S Pride is stronger than wit with some. *useless rant, I'm done now lol*

Lol, okay, knowing this was just a rant and knowing how some people react to the thought of Marek's I can almost agree with you. Almost because some of us have been told that the only way to ensure a flock able to survive and flourish is to take survivors from the initial outbreak and breed them and then their offspring and then their offspring unto the 8th generation. This will give all of the birds the genes needed to protect them from the strains of Marek's found where they are. Culling is fine, but it doesn't get rid of the disease. It still lurks everywhere the birds were in contact with. There are ways to 'clean' the property and coop but they are very, very time consuming and meticulous. So, if a responsible person, who knows they have Marek's in their flock has the need and the desire to keep chickens, there really aren't too many options available to them. You either decide to give it up completely and walk away from that dream, or you learn what needs be done to protect yours and everyone else's from this rotten disease. Some, I'll agree, would rather ignore what is slapping them upside their heads. They are the problem children in the equation and shouldn't be allowed to have birds, since they have shown a lack of responsibility and/or total disregard of how their actions affect other's lives. Here, if you showed up to see my animals...first off you would be met with a can of Lysol, then you would be given a painter's overall to put on along with plastic bags for your feet, hair covering, face mask and gloves. You would be able to go into one of the chicken houses but not the other poultry houses. Those, you would have to stand outside and view the birds through the windows. Extreme? Maybe, but I have only lost 2 birds to Marek's here this year and both were in the 'Control Groups' that are being bred from the survivors from last year.

The point, some of us have no other options but to keep on, keeping on. Please don't lump us into the group of the irresponsible. We are trying to bring birds into the world that will have natural immunities/resistance to Marek's. If you knew that someone was raising birds that had this resistance to the strains of Marek's affecting the flocks in your area and you knew it might be the only way you could ever have chickens again....just please think about it. Okay, lol, end of my rant as well.

Lol, okay, knowing this was just a rant and knowing how some people react to the thought of Marek's I can almost agree with you. Almost because some of us have been told that the only way to ensure a flock able to survive and flourish is to take survivors from the initial outbreak and breed them and then their offspring and then their offspring unto the 8th generation. This will give all of the birds the genes needed to protect them from the strains of Marek's found where they are. Culling is fine, but it doesn't get rid of the disease. It still lurks everywhere the birds were in contact with. There are ways to 'clean' the property and coop but they are very, very time consuming and meticulous. So, if a responsible person, who knows they have Marek's in their flock has the need and the desire to keep chickens, there really aren't too many options available to them. You either decide to give it up completely and walk away from that dream, or you learn what needs be done to protect yours and everyone else's from this rotten disease. Some, I'll agree, would rather ignore what is slapping them upside their heads. They are the problem children in the equation and shouldn't be allowed to have birds, since they have shown a lack of responsibility and/or total disregard of how their actions affect other's lives. Here, if you showed up to see my animals...first off you would be met with a can of Lysol, then you would be given a painter's overall to put on along with plastic bags for your feet, hair covering, face mask and gloves. You would be able to go into one of the chicken houses but not the other poultry houses. Those, you would have to stand outside and view the birds through the windows. Extreme? Maybe, but I have only lost 2 birds to Marek's here this year and both were in the 'Control Groups' that are being bred from the survivors from last year.

The point, some of us have no other options but to keep on, keeping on. Please don't lump us into the group of the irresponsible. We are trying to bring birds into the world that will have natural immunities/resistance to Marek's. If you knew that someone was raising birds that had this resistance to the strains of Marek's affecting the flocks in your area and you knew it might be the only way you could ever have chickens again....just please think about it. Okay, lol, end of my rant as well.
I agree!! Even if I moved, I would probably still take my own birds, simply because I have already put so much work into them. I think that it is great that you continue to carry on, even with the problems you are having.

Julie, Genilou, sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif

Genilou, It kinda sounds like your girl had a problem absorbing calcium and some hormonal problem as well. I would figure this comes with so much breeding for high yield. I doubt there was anything you could do. I believe that chickens draw their calcium from the bones, and the bones get calcium from what gets eaten. Could be that your hen had calcium depleted leg bones making her legs kinda useless.

Back
Top Bottom