Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

I posted as a photo in this thread a copy of the necropsy. I really suspected lymphoid leukosis rather than Marek's because of their age. However, we had two batches of chicks together. They were days apart. Some came from Country Max feed store and some from Foster Hill Farm. My aunts chick's came from Country Max (different breed) but in the same box. Hers are fine. We had losses from both groups and have only one left from each store. So it would seem LL wouldn't have effected both groups. Although if you read the necropsy, it appears to lean more towards LL then Marek's on gross observation. But the pathology ends up pointing to Marek's. If you have a chance to look at it, let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:
I guess I wonder if they really had Marek's unless you added more chickens to what you had. Marek's would have to come from somewhere, and usually someone with a nice same-age flock comes home with another chicken, and the trouble starts. I also wonder why you would have Marek's and not have any symptoms before point of lay.

Were the deaths ever confirmed by a pathologist and a necropsy? If not, you may want to look for other possible answers.

Marek's came into my flock without rhyme or reason either. I had my first hatchery birds, on property that hasn't had chickens on it in at least 15 years, in a brand new coop that we built from scratch. Yet I my birds got it-- for sure-- PCR and gross necropsy confirmed. We had an irruptive migration of several species of wild birds that winter that lines up with the timeline. I think they may have brought it in.

I don't think that the case of rye neck and the unknown disease are related, so I think that Pumpkin and Pear-Pear had similar things, also I heard that California has a free necropsy check

I posted as a photo in this thread a copy of the necropsy. I really suspected lymphoid leukosis rather than Marek's because of their age. However, we had two batches of chicks together. They were days apart. Some came from Country Max feed store and some from Foster Hill Farm. My aunts chick's came from Country Max (different breed) but in the same box. Hers are fine. We had losses from both groups and have only one left from each store. So it would seem LL wouldn't have effected both groups. Although if you read the necropsy, it appears to lean more towards LL then Marek's on gross observation. But the pathology ends up pointing to Marek's. If you have a chance to look at it, let me know your thoughts.

On your necropsy, it appears that your chicken had Marek's, and some other disease going on as well. It may have been Aspergillosis, as the pathologist said. But what killed your chicken was a disease process that happened because of the immunosuppression and that's because of the Marek's.

This is what I'm toying with right now. If I have a chicken that is Marek's exposed and wasting for no good reason, I'll treat for something opportunistic. I'm finding that some of these diseases can be subclinical, meaning not really making the chicken sick, but not real productive either. My last ones were getting thin for no good reason. I treated them about 3 weeks ago. They are eating more. There were 2 older ones that I worried about and now they actually roost at night with food in their crop.

On your necropsy, it appears that your chicken had Marek's, and some other disease going on as well.  It may have been Aspergillosis, as the pathologist said.  But what killed your chicken was a disease process that happened because of the immunosuppression and that's because of the Marek's.

This is what I'm toying with right now.  If I have a chicken that is Marek's exposed and wasting for no good reason, I'll treat for something opportunistic.  I'm finding that some of these diseases can be subclinical, meaning not really making the chicken sick, but not real productive either.  My last ones were getting thin for no good reason.  I treated them about 3 weeks ago.  They are eating more. There were 2 older ones that I worried about and now they actually roost at night with food in their crop. 

Yes, it seems as though the stress of beginning to lay eggs is what started it all. Then one after another they got sick. Our vet came to the house and looked at our feed, coop, etc. Before we knew it was Marek's, we treated the symptoms for each one individually. Some had respiratory problems, some just dropped dead, some hung on for months, one went blind, one would pant and drop her wings, some would scoot on their haunches and then walk again...none exhibited the classic Marek's symptoms, split leg or paralysis. We actually were treating Lucille (the one that was necropsied) with anti fungal meds and oxine mist. I think the Marek's was compromising her immune system so much the medication couldn't help. She also was developing tumors so it wouldn't have saved her in the long run.

Olivia is still unable to put weight on her right leg. But she is eating and she doesn't seem any worse..no better..but no worse.

I mentioned before my concerns about the unusually large number of droppings with intestinal lining that have been coming from the 5 new hens I added 3 weeks ago. You might remember that they were vaccinated as chicks, had just started laying, and their previous owner needed a new home for them.

So about a week after their arrival, I started noticing the intestinal lining. I've been comparing the droppings under the old flocks roost area and the dropping under the new hens roosting area, and......the dif is appalling. Way too many droppings with reddish mucousy material. I would say it isnt blood, but lining. Anyway I've decided to treat the flock again for cocci (a finding in the mareks necropsy from October) on the belief that it can't hurt and could help (opinions, anyone?)

I don't know if this is cocci, and if it related to the new hens exposure of mareks in the flock. Egg production from two of them has nearly ceased...

On the good side, Everyone seems to be holding their own. I do have two hens that seem awful lightweight..

Last edited:
I mentioned before my concerns about the unusually large number of droppings with intestinal lining that have been coming from the 5 new hens I added 3 weeks ago. You might remember that they were vaccinated as chicks, had just started laying, and their previous owner needed a new home for them.

So about a week after their arrival, I started noticing the intestinal lining. I've been comparing the droppings under the old flocks roost area and the dropping under the new hens roosting area, and......the dif is appalling. Way too many droppings with reddish mucousy material. I would say it isnt blood, but lining. Anyway I've decided to treat the flock again for cocci (a finding in the mareks necropsy from October) on the belief that it can't hurt and could help (opinions, anyone?)

I don't know if this is cocci, and if it related to the new hens exposure of mareks in the flock. Egg production from two of them has nearly ceased...

On the good side, Everyone seems to be holding their own. I do have two hens that seem awful lightweight..
Since there are at least 9 strains of coccidiosis in chickens, the 5 new girls could have been exposed to a different strain from your flock. The Corid treatment sounds like a good idea.

Yes, it seems as though the stress of beginning to lay eggs is what started it all. Then one after another they got sick. Our vet came to the house and looked at our feed, coop, etc. Before we knew it was Marek's, we treated the symptoms for each one individually. Some had respiratory problems, some just dropped dead, some hung on for months, one went blind, one would pant and drop her wings, some would scoot on their haunches and then walk again...none exhibited the classic Marek's symptoms, split leg or paralysis. We actually were treating Lucille (the one that was necropsied) with anti fungal meds and oxine mist. I think the Marek's was compromising her immune system so much the medication couldn't help. She also was developing tumors so it wouldn't have saved her in the long run.

Olivia is still unable to put weight on her right leg. But she is eating and she doesn't seem any worse..no better..but no worse.
Okay, that makes sense, if Olivia isn't able to put weight of her right leg before New Years then an amputation of that leg mite be what is needed

I would also treat for enteritis, as in c. perfergens (sp), e.coli, too. Enteritis may present itself kind of like coccidiosis, but could be bacterial as well. Either /or. Treat them all. I did mine for 7 days with sulfadimethoxine and Tylan. I figured that would cover most or all of the nasty bugs. The cillins are good too. And of course, worm them all first or maybe you did not too long ago.

Back
Top Bottom