Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

I guess I just don't understand why I've had two chicks in 7 years have it. It's pretty difficult to figure out what's causing it I guess. And also if it will fix itself. Anyone have a recoverer?

Wry neck is one of those things that is incredibly hard to figure out. Sometimes it is obvious, such as a head injury or sometimes it is very subtle, due to a 'hidden' deficiency or disease... so many reasons! My little Derperlla had wry neck on and off for a while. She had it so bad as a chick that she was spinning circles. She did recover and lives normally-- well, as normal as she can. She's always been weird.

I guess I just don't understand why I've had two chicks in 7 years have it. It's pretty difficult to figure out what's causing it I guess. And also if it will fix itself. Anyone have a recoverer?
I had a chicken have it but the first in ten years I heard that molasses works if treated before a month and a half but only heard never tried

Therapy for Wry Neck largely depends on the cause; which, as mentioned, can be a number of things. Sometimes it is as much of a guessing game as why a bird experiences paralysis. "Is it Marek's, or is it Cocci, or is it Leukosis, or is it botulism, or is it or is it injury, or is it ______... etc"

To that end, if the cause is unknown, generally most folks suggest a vitamin therapy to start with.

Therapy for Wry Neck largely depends on the cause; which, as mentioned, can be a number of things. Sometimes it is as much of a guessing game as why a bird experiences paralysis. "Is it Marek's, or is it Cocci, or is it Leukosis, or is it botulism, or is it or is it injury, or is it ______... etc"

To that end, if the cause is unknown, generally most folks suggest a vitamin therapy to start with.
In this case it was a bacterial infection confirmed by UC Davis necropsy:

-Kathy

Wry neck is one of those things that is incredibly hard to figure out. Sometimes it is obvious, such as a head injury or sometimes it is very subtle, due to a 'hidden' deficiency or disease... so many reasons! My little Derperlla had wry neck on and off for a while. She had it so bad as a chick that she was spinning circles. She did recover and lives normally-- well, as normal as she can. She's always been weird.

She's not weird, she's just Derp
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom