Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

I never have, but since I got into this immune suppression idea, I did buy a packet of probiotics, I just don't know how much to give. But I will be using them now.

Quote:

I was one that never gave clostridium or enteritis any thought until I lost 3 hens over night that were filled with blood inside that ran out when I picked them up. The symptoms didn't fit since they were happy , healthy, and eating well the night before. It was a shock. I then read that coccidiosis and enteritis are both common illnesses. Enteritis can just affect the small intestines, or higher up the large intestine than cocci. These were Marek's vaccinated birds.

HELP!!!! Seems the more I know the more I can't figure out. I have a 6 year old Polish that is good weight . She can't walk, as of last night. She's wing walking. Her crop is full and I don't know if she's eaten today or not. I think 6 is kindof old to get paralysis . I just don't know what to think since there is really nothing she could have hurt herself on.

What am I supposed to think???

Now I have a JG that has a purple face. She is 3+ years old.

Please share your ideas on my paralyzed Polish. I will probably keep her as long as she keeps her weight.

HELP!!!!  Seems the more I know the more I can't figure out.  I have a 6 year old Polish that is good weight .  She can't walk, as of last night.  She's wing walking.  Her crop is full and I don't know if she's eaten today or not.  I think 6 is kindof old to get paralysis .  I just don't know what to think since there is really nothing she could have hurt herself on.

Now I have a JG that has a purple face.  She is 3+ years old. 

Please share your ideas on my paralyzed Polish.  I will probably keep her as long as she keeps her weight.

We did have confirmed Marek's in our flock. And I had a (vaccinated HVT) Silkie, about 2.5 yrs old, that I thought might have had Marek's. She couldn't walk and I noticed her crop was very full. She has had crop issues in the past, crop stasis. It turned out to be a crop/digestive issue. She got antibiotics and metroclopromide initially then laser treatments. The laser treatments were to shrink down and regain muscle tone in her crop.

HELP!!!! Seems the more I know the more I can't figure out. I have a 6 year old Polish that is good weight . She can't walk, as of last night. She's wing walking. Her crop is full and I don't know if she's eaten today or not. I think 6 is kindof old to get paralysis . I just don't know what to think since there is really nothing she could have hurt herself on.

Now I have a JG that has a purple face. She is 3+ years old.

Please share your ideas on my paralyzed Polish. I will probably keep her as long as she keeps her weight.

6 is pretty old to get visceral Marek's problems, especially if she has been exposed for a while now? Does she have a vaulted skull? I would personally be looking for reasons other than Marek's, as you probably are.

Is your Jersey Giant hen still laying?

No, my Jersey hasn't laid in a year or more.

Nambroth,The Polish girl-I have to doubt she had an injury. The group of 7 has gotten along very well for a few years and she is a non-picked on hen.

Kat, my husband said she was out for treats this morning , so she might have eaten cookies.

I know I will be sending her for necropsy. But I'll give her a while and see if she recovers or not. I put her on Tylan and Sulfadimethoxine. Seems she has resistance if I pull her foot out. But can't stand on them.

She's the hen in my avatar's sister.

Last edited:
Hey there Seminolewind...
...so sorry to hear about your Polish hen. Six does seem rather old for an onset of MD but you never know. I got to thinking more about it later and was wondering if the paralysis might not be organic in nature at all, but due more to a specific incident...such as a stroke, or aneurysm, etc. (not even certain if chickens can have a stroke or not, but just thought I'd throw it out there for consideration.
idunno.gif
) Hope she keeps the weight on and continues to live a long and illustrious life, but it's good that you're already prepared for what will ultimately be the inevitable outcome by knowing in advance that you'll send her in for a necropsy.
The very best to you and yours !!!

-kim-

Back
Top Bottom