Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Ocho, I do think that less concentration makes a difference. It can be hard if a broody hatches then and go off to leave her behind for a few weeks. Or see if just the broody is quarantined with them. There's all kinds of ways to see what we can get away with.

I don't think you're rubbing salt in a wound, saltandpepper. It's fair to hear the good and the not so good. I am always happy for those that get away with a survivor against the odds.
smile.png

Ocho, I do think that less concentration makes a difference. It can be hard if a broody hatches then and go off to leave her behind for a few weeks. Or see if just the broody is quarantined with them. There's all kinds of ways to see what we can get away with.
Totally agree. I think the chicks need a high concentration of Marek's virus over a period of time for the virus to start to develop. I also think there is a critical time in the immune system development where the chicks are more susceptible to the virus.

Of course there are always exceptions. My first pullet to die must have had a weak immune system to begin with. She hatched sticky and seemed to take twice as long to feather out as everyone else. By 10 weeks she was showing signs of lethargy, and by 12 weeks she had sciatic nerve problems. Her sisters were totally normal until 20 weeks. The ones I have away did great for several months. Only one died.

Someone asked me if Marek's can live for years, why is it not carried by egg shells? I had to do some digging. But found that the virus gets into dander, and the chickens inhale the dander. I don't think egg shells are conducive to carrying dander.

I'm wondering how many of you are trying the oxine in your coops to help with mareks? wondering if I should do that. Am thinking a good coop cleaning this summer, again in fall, and again next spring if I can get to it (weather permitting and no hatching broodies).

Is it worth doing? Wouldn't it kill the mareks?

Wanting to broody hatch next spring and am planning ahead.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how many of you are trying the oxine in your coops to help with mareks? wondering if I should do that. Am thinking a good coop cleaning this summer, again in fall, and again next spring if I can get to it (weather permitting and no hatching broodies).

Is it worth doing? Wouldn't it kill the mareks?

Wanting to broody hatch next spring and am planning ahead.

Oxine will only work with Marek's if activated with citric acid. The best stuff to use is Virkon and the bucket of powder will last for years. That does work on Marek's and you can use it on porous material as well. I mix it and put it in one of those hose sprayers and get the ceiling as well.

Paralysis is not something only caused by Marek's. I'm sure there are viruses or bacteria that can cause it. It just takes some sciatic nerve damage.

Mine that got paralysis eventually also got something that destroys their depth perception and they look like they are eating, but arent' picking up food. Among dozens, I did have one that recovered after 6 weeks, but she kept eating and kept her weight the whole time.

Alibaba, my 3 broody raised lived 8 months . But the longer they survive, the better the chances. 95% of mine have been under a year old. Most of the 95% was at 6-8 weeks. Fingers crossed. Don't kill yourself. Everyone has to try but it still really hurts if they do die.
Hey thanks.

Told my son tonight, " We don't know if the moms and dads were vaccinated, maybe maybe not. If not, hey, they have some immunity, probably won't help much. They may go at 8 weeks, they may go til POL. But we will enjoy them while they are here!"

And you know what...these aren't food for us, but pets and live wonderful lawn ornaments. 8-10 months is a better option that a 6 week old meat bird has. I have space for them to roam with the flock so it will be a good life, eating blueberries, and bugs and grass and worms and treats...

I am at peace with it!

(When I can, will use an incubator for my own breeding and get day olds for the broody's :)

Last edited:
Oxine will only work with Marek's if activated with citric acid. The best stuff to use is Virkon and the bucket of powder will last for years. That does work on Marek's and you can use it on porous material as well. I mix it and put it in one of those hose sprayers and get the ceiling as well.
I'm thinking...that sounds like a lot of work....can't hurt, may help...

This speck of dust....that can just sit and wait.... in the dirt of the run, mud in the corner....but better to eliminate every bit you can if you have the time, strength and energy!!!

Totally agree. I think the chicks need a high concentration of Marek's virus over a period of time for the virus to start to develop. I also think there is a critical time in the immune system development where the chicks are more susceptible to the virus.

Of course there are always exceptions. My first pullet to die must have had a weak immune system to begin with. She hatched sticky and seemed to take twice as long to feather out as everyone else. By 10 weeks she was showing signs of lethargy, and by 12 weeks she had sciatic nerve problems. Her sisters were totally normal until 20 weeks. The ones I have away did great for several months. Only one died.
There is a time from hatch where immune system is super on. I think 2 weeks... until their own immune systems kicks in. So it makes sense that the virus hits during this susceptible time and shows as illness at around 8 weeks. (Huh, I think incubation is around 6 weeks for the virus)

ETA: How do antiviral meds work? If given during 2-4 weeks?????etc.??? Nah, i guess after the meds, there would still be reexposure......

Anyone have luck with the keeping turkeys thing? Wondering because I read it on BYC and also, two places I inquired about vaccinations said they don't have Marek's and they are both in HEAVY farm areas...

Sorry Ochochicas, didn't mean to hijack your post, my thoughts run away with me. Did you have that sickly pullet tested?

Last edited:
I'm sorry for all these people losing birds.. Not to rub salt into a wound, but this is the first year that I haven't lost any birds before 10 weeks! Keeping my fingers crossed that they might for once all make it. The birds are from a breeder that has had mareks for generations, so I had a head start, this is only the 3rd generation for me.
Very very interesting. What does the breeder do? Let nature take its course and breed survivors? For resistance?

I think a more efficient way of providing that lovely vaccination is to have someone hold the chick and pinch the neck skin up, or just hold the chick. and next time I'll make sure that I saturate the area well so I can see the skin.
Yep, I just have 4 kiddos around right now and I didn't want to get mad at them if they squeezed or dropped one. So, Next time I will have an unsqueamish, very tough adult over to help... Or I pack the whole thing in the car and take it to my cheap, no appointment, 85 year old, darling vietnamese vet... until I get the hang of this.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom