NOT Broody Hens Sit in Nests but Don't Lay...

Qalupalik

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
BC
I've done a few searches but didn't come up with anything relevant.

I have a few hens that enjoy sitting in the nest boxes for lengthy periods of time and not lay an egg. They might sit there for a couple of hours and then leave. Does anyone else experience this and know why it happens?

Sometimes young pullet will do that as they prepare to start laying. At other times hens will stay in the nest boxes to avoid over sexed roosters or bullying flockmates.

Yeah, what sourland and donrae said.

It's normal.

I think it's great you are spending time with your flock to SEE it - so many other folks just "keep" chickens, not observe them in their day to day behaviors. :thumbsup

Last edited:
It's just a normal thing, especially for new layers. They jut like to hang out there, no worries.

hahaha this made me laugh. I've got a few that do that as well. They aren't super new at laying, but I think maybe they just like to take a break :)

Mine aren't new layers, I don't have any mature roosters, and have plenty of places to go to get away from the others (they're actually all very well behaved and never bother one another). But if they're doing it just because they enjoy it, I suppose I can live with that haha. It's just frustrating because it would be nice if it resulted in an egg :p

I find they don't really mind being moved out of the nest box if they're like this. They'll struggle a bit in the box but once they're out they'll just start looking for food. Same goes for hens that are sitting on eggs for a while after laying but aren't broody.

Back
Top Bottom