suzndannie

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 6, 2016
We found our Easter Egger limping, and on exploration found this:

save.jpg
save2.jpg
save3.jpg

The coloration on the foot pad doesn't fit the descriptions we've seen of bumblefoot... with the well-defined circle of dark scab. It looks like an infected foot alright, but we're not convinced that treating her for bumblefoot is what she needs and are having difficulty finding treatment for "NOT bumblefoot." There is no evidence of a laceration on the pad, for example.

Feel free to convince us that it is, in fact, bumblefoot. We're newbies, so are definitely pioneering as far as the sick chickie business goes!

I don't know if it is bumblefoot. It doesn't look like any bumblefoot I've treated but. Beginning a treatment the same as bumblefoot may still remedy it. Epsom salt is good at killing bacteria and reducing infections so it's still a good place to start. Keep an eye on it if it doesn't get better in a few days or looks like it is getting worse then it's time to get more aggressive with it.

It is definitely swollen . I agree with wynn4578 that soaking in epsoms salt will not hurt anything. It might be something as simple as a sprain. :) Best Wishes

OK bumblefoot IS an infection of foot...So that being said if you think it's infected.. Treatment is same as bumblefoot or if there's an injury to the foot I would still recommend soaking foot in Epsom salt and putting antibiotic ointment on foot and possibly wrap it...The idea is to keep it clean and allow any infection to heal instead of getting worse under the skin. So I guess what I'm saying is the treatment is same either way. Oh and if happens to actually be bumblefoot this is caused by staph and can be transmitted to you via a cut or crack in your skin so wear gloves when cleaning her and such.

Thx again everyone! Just wanted to update... By the time we were able to secure the supplies for her care, our hen was no longer limping, and later yesterday we noticed that her foot & leg were looking normal again!! It's a good reminder, though, to keep a closer watch on each of our 26 hens.

@suzndannie They can go down quickly with injuries we try to make it a point to check for injuries daily and check for things like bumblefoot weekly... It is always better to catch it early on than too late.... Great she recovered and is back to herself .... :)

Back
Top Bottom