1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Not Chicken Related-Need advice on ailing dad

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by pips&peeps, Feb 7, 2008.

  1. pips&peeps

    pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

    Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Anyone out there a family/credit attorney? I need help with my dad's finances. I would also love just some advice if someone has gone through this......

    He was put in a nursing home a few weeks ago. I need help or advice from someone who knows what to do about his bills, etc. I have POA already and have been paying bills for over a year for him, but in order to keep in the facility or get him in an assisted living facility when he is able, I will not be able to pay his bills anymore.

  2. palabeco

    palabeco Songster

    Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    There should be a social worker at the facility that could help guide you in these matters. I used to work in a nusing home and they had a sosial worker. I would start there, and maybe look in your phonebook under government listings for social services, or senior citizen services.
  3. pips&peeps

    pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

    Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Problem is, he is not a "senior citizen" yet and he will not qualify for help from the State.

    He was "snowbirding" in AZ and that is where the put him for now. I will be bringing him up to Idaho as soon as I can move him.
  4. ams3651

    ams3651 Songster

    Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I have a friend who is working for a man in this situation and he just came home from a nursing home to recieve round the clock care. I would say look in your phone book under social services, even a senior citizen agency may at least know where to refer you to. As mentioned, the nursing home should have a person who helps the family find services and such.
  5. Pelican49

    Pelican49 Songster

    Jan 26, 2008

    Since he's in a nursing home he doesn't have to be a senior citizen to get social security disability.
  6. pips&peeps

    pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

    Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    OK, I guess I need to go into detail.

    My dad is already on social security and has a pension for disability, but he is not over 60 yet.

    My problem is that in order to have enough money to pay his nursing home and put a deposit and last months rent up front for an assisted living facility, I will not be able to pay his regular bills anymore. (Assisted living is supposed to run $3100 to $4100 a month.)

    I just don't know if I should just stop paying for his truck, his credit cards, etc, and if I do what can happen. I'm mostly concerned with creditors, I wouldn't think that they could get a judgement from him at this point, since all the money will go towards his care.

    I am pretty sure that my dad will not qualify for any state benefits.

    The social services people in the homes have not been of any help with the questions I have. I am at the point where I will have to go to an attorney and I really can't afford to pay for that too.

    The senior services center in Idaho abrubtly told me they would not give me any help since he was not a senior.
  7. Dodgegal79

    Dodgegal79 Songster

    Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Oh thats not going to be fun. I don't know anything about how it works in the States. If I were you, if he's not going to be driving dispose of the truck, and get rid of that payment. Liquidate all assests if he's going in the home for good. There should be a social service program to help people like him, disablility or something along that line. Notify credit card of what is happening is the best you can do. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: