NOT Clipping call duck wings (warning)

Cheems

Songster
Apr 10, 2022
Hello, I wanted to warn you all so you dont end up with something like this happening. In my flock of call ducks I decided to only clip 2/3 of my new hens that I hatched wing's because one had such beautiful white tips on her wings and I wanted to show her in my local fair. I figured she would stay with the rest of the flock and not go far as my older more experienced hens have never had issues and are trustworthy with their wings

However unfortunately this one hen when I went to let them out of their pen while I cleaned flew off and I believe she accidentally went over a fence and got eaten by a hawk or a dog, or got hit by a car. In my experience ive seen younger call ducks be less experienced and I would highly recommend clipping a call ducks wings especially when they are younger. I have now clipped all my call ducks wings after this, and I wanted to warn all of you. CLIP YOUR DUCKS WINGS IF YOU HAVE DANGERS NEARBY. even if most are clipped

1709604817731.png

I'm sorry you lost your bird, poor, pretty thing, and I agree with the warning, even if there aren't a lot of dangers around. I left some of my muscovies unclipped once, and one of them broke her leg after missing her landing. If there's a way to hurt themselves, they'll find it.

Back
Top Bottom