Not eating and is all bones.

Do not massage her crop, just try to get her drinking water over the next few hours. Massaging the crop can cause food to come back up into the throat and choke. She may have eaten too much, poor thing. I hope she stops struggling to breathe. She might have some type of blockage farther down that is why she has wanted to eat.

She’s still alive! She drank a lot of water this morning but is not interested in eating. My husband said there was a shell less egg/ soft egg in the box about two weeks ago.. could she possibly have peritonitis? She doesn’t have yolk colored feces... her poop is the normal white with almost little chunks of dark brow/ green/ almost black.. and it’s watery.

Glad that she made it. A shell-less egg could have been from a oviduct infection. I suspected from your first post that she was suffering from some type of reproductive disorders. Salpingitis, egg yolk peritonitis, or internal laying are common. Ascites or water belly is too, and it can accompany EYP or liver or heart failure. Most of the time we don’t know exactly until a necropsy is performed. Droppings are not always indicative of the problem. Is her crop still hard this morning? If so, offer a few chips of refrigerated coconut oil—about a tsp to peck at. That might help it pass.

Her crop was empty and small in size. Is there anything I can do at this point or just make her comfortable until she passes? Or do we put her down so she doesn’t suffer? Is there still a chance she could pull through? She’s still breathing with her beak open with every breath.

I would make her comfortable and offer wet food a couple of times a day, followed by water. The Poultry Cell are good as well. It is a personal decision to determine if she is suffering or in pain whether or not to put her down. But if you do put her down, I would get a necropsy to know what was wrong. It can really help you to understand and give closure. Eaxh state has different costs for a necropsy by the state vet. Some will do a basic necropsy on a backyard bird for as little as $20. Then if you want more testing, they can charge for that. Some states rob you blind for just a necropsy. Call them or look online to see. If one is not possible, I would try to do a brief one at home. It has helped me learn a lot. Where are you located? Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom