Not eating feed... should I worry?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SpringChickens, May 14, 2009.

1. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I have a flock of 10 birds, 9 hens and a roo, all around 16 weeks old. They are free ranging on our 1+ acre of land, with free access to their coop with feed and water. My concern is that they are not going through their feed very quickly

We were having to fill the feeder 2-3 X a week, then we had a rooster day where we processed 9 roosters. Now, one feeder full will last upwards of two weeks, and we aren't filling it as full!

Yes, it is summer time in Tx, and they have LOTS of bugs to eat. They all seem healthy and happy. I am inclined not to worry, but I just wanted to see what others thought.

I also calculated their feed intake wrong. I bought two bags of grower pellets right before our rooster day (3 weeks ago!!) and have only just opened the other bag. Should I try to get them on a layer pellet now (16 weeks) and give away the rest of the grower pellet?

Thanks!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Believe me they will eat what they want to. Sometimes a 50 lb bag will last two weeks for us (21 birds) and sometimes 3 days.

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Thanks, that makes me feel much better! Should I worry about getting them layer feed now? Or can I just let them finish off the grower feed first?

4. whippet128

whippet128 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    finish off your grower so it doesnt go stale. then switch to the layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by