Not eating & Not Moving

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by celticravenz, Nov 15, 2010.

1. celticravenz

celticravenz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2010
    Alaska
    I have a Dark cornish and he hasn't eatin or drank (but what I have given him with and eye dropper) he hasn't moved in over 24 hours. he will lift his head a little bit. He hasn't been in a fight and the "new" birds we have have not been in the same coop..... He is in a dog pen. Advise given so far is Gatorade and scrambled egg, anything else? He is only 5 months old

2. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Welcome to the forum! [​IMG]

Sorry to hear your rooster isn't doing very well. I'm not knowledgable enough to give you any doctoring advice, but here are a few standard questions BYC recommends you answer so folks can help you out better.

Best of luck!

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use​

3. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Sounds like a little more is going on than scrambled eggs and gatoraid will fix, but they will help keep energy going, so that is a good thing for now.

Edit (as posted above)
    Any history to the problem? Might be worth looking at the stiky up to for the 12 questions. It might help gives some clues as to what is going on.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  4. celticravenz

Nov 12, 2010
    Alaska
    Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

1)He is a Dark Cornish about 5 months old Not sure on weight
    2) He just lays there, has tryed to stand up but just "falls" back down. Laybored breathing, won't eat on his own.
    3) for about 24 hours
    4) none of the other birds have been acting at all like Desi.
    5) & 6) unable to see or feel any injuries
    7)Other then water by eye dropper nothing
    8)
    9)Trying to get water in him
    10)Treat myself
    11)No injury seen
    12) Normal housing is House with a covered dog pen connected to it so he can go in or out.
    Now he is in a Dog kennel with straw.
    I know this isn't much to go on... big sigh, just very new at this and he is one of my babies..... What help I can get will be greatfull​

5. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Yeh, bit of a puzzle.
    Botulisum can cause the lethargic floppyness.
    Cocci can cause them to become lethargic, weak and thin, worms pretty much the same, often there are clues in the poop appearance
    Spoiled or moldy food can cause problems
    Mareks can cause limb weakness and breathing difficulty. But that seams to come on a bit slower most times.
    Vitamin defficiency also can lead in this direction, but more often over time.
    Injury can do this too, maybe?

I don't know if there is much immediate to do but try to keep him nurrished and in a safe separate warm place as you try to look for clues and wait to see what comes next. Keep an eye on the rest of the flock too.

6. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I would check the crop for sour crop. you can carefully turn him upside down to see if there is any drainage. is there any runny nose or bubble in his eyes? does he feel cold? Does he have bad odor on his breath?

edited to say turning him down doesnt identify sour crop try searching sour or impacted crop, that just lets you know if he has fluid in him possibly relating to an illness.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  7. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Respiratory infection, maybe? Is his breathing raspy? Do you see any discharge? Do you see any "puffiness" around the base of his beak? Compare him with your other chickens. That fleshy part before it turns to feathers is supposed to be smooth and concave. If it protrudes out like he swallowed a couple of small marbles then that may help narrow down the problem.

8. celticravenz

Nov 12, 2010
    Alaska
    I have checked him From beak to claws and I see nothing or feel anything unnormal. I will see how tonight goes, Thank you all for helping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by