Not eggbound? What is it?

3cutechicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 11, 2009
Newbury Park, CA
After all the baths and fingerings of my RIR, she still has the bulge, no egg, she waddles like a duck, and is eating and drinking. If it is not an egg what else could it be? A vet around here is $80 so I refuse to go. It has been 2 weeks since I first saw her poopy tail, which is looking better.

I found this just doing a search:
Having a bulge and waddling like a duck are signs of being what is called an internal layer or a false layer.
These are two different conditions that both cause eggs to be retained in the hen's body.
The increased abdominal mass, the waddling walk, and the lack of egg laying all point toward one of these conditions.
Hens who are internal layers tend to stand with their rear ends lowered, giving them a penguin like look.
Respiratory viruses can attack the reproductive tract causing damage to the oviduct, allowing eggs to drop down inside their abdomen, rather than being conducted out.
bacteria usually find their way into the retained egg materials and cause egg peritonitis

Last edited:
Thank you for that information. It is very weird not knowing. If she didn't have all poop on her feathers last week, I may have not noticed a difference in her. Is there a way to fix it? Antibiotic?

If she is sick with any of these illnesses, I do not believe there are any known treatments.
sad.png
The only way to really know for sure is to take her to the vet.

I just lost a hen to internal laying last week. If that is what it is, if you take her and the vet clears her out, chances are she will do it again. there is no reversing it really. I knew that was what was wrong when I felt the lump in her abdomen that sort of felt like and egg, but wasn't where it should have been. Sure enough, she died a couple days after I felt the lump. I cut her open to make sure that is all it was and I found I was correct.
It is sad, but you just don't know until it happens, then there isn't much to do when it does.
good luck.

It's been 3 weeks and I called a feed store today for antibiotics. I told her the symptoms and she said Penny would have been dead already if she was eggbound or if there was a shell inside her. She told me to give her sinus medicine and that would make her feel better. It's been over a half hour and she looks the same. I made her hard boiled yolk mixed with yogurt. She likes it but doesn't seem to know where the bowl is and I had to stick her face in it. Meanwhile my hubby is going to the store to get the antibiotics. I have her isolated in the house. No other chickens have it. Also she thought she was done laying for now and that was why there were no eggs. Hopefully she is better soon.

well, after giving her antibiotics and yogurt, she slept in the house but is just laying there and barely moving. I put a heat lamp on her. I'm not sure what her deal is, maybe internal laying? I read about it but I don't quite understand it. Does it last this long. Going on 3rd or 4th week.

Back
Top Bottom