Not enough ventilation for hot weather?

lindseyawest

Chirping
Apr 25, 2015
Northern California
My Coop
My Coop
I live in a dry climate where it's in the 90's during the summer, with some weeks of 100's (like 104). I will have vent windows on all sides of the coop and some some space of ventilation at the roof line (sloped roof). I have the opportunity to make one whole side of the coop open (covered with hardware cloth) - do you think I'm giving too little ventilation if I just do windows? Should I make one whole side open air with the hardware cloth? The side would be opposite of where the nesting boxes are, if that makes a difference too?

An open sided coop will give plenty of ventilation. The open side should be sheltered from the prevailing winds, so the wind is not blowing into the coop. I have regular windows on my coop, so I can open and close them as needed. I also built a predator proof screen door so I can leave the door open but keep the chickens safe.

Home Depot and Lowes sell wood frame screen doors for $25, cheaper if you get one with a damaged screen. Remove the screen, and replace it with 1/2" hardware wire.

One whole side of my coop is just wire (well, from 2' up). It works well. If the design and placement is correct, you'll have absolutely no issues with moisture (which is the big problem in coops)

My coop has one whole wall open, covered with hardware cloth, with temps from 0 to 100 degrees F, and humidity all over the place. So yes, is a hot dry climate, open that wall (Maybe two) up. Get some fresh air in there.

Seems to be getting worse in the East. In CT we had a number of nights at -20 (temp) with 40 mph winds this past February, and today we hit 90 and its not even Memorial Day! I wish the global warming / cooling people would make up their minds!

So here's an interesting dilemma - seems the spring/summer winds come from the same direction where the afternoon sun beats down on our yard. If I do one whole side open with hardware cloth so that the most breeze comes in, it also means the afternoon sun is beating in. So do I put the open side where there's less breeze but that means less afternoon sun in the coop? Or do I leave it open for wind anyway?

Leave that end open with hardware wire, and have the roof overhang the wall by 12 to 18 inches. The overhang will provide shade from the summer sun. You could also build a plywood cover for the opening, and hinge it at the top. When you open it, it provides shade for the opening. You could close it at night or during bad weather.

Back
Top Bottom