Not exactly a predator, but funny problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Ariel301, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    So I found out today that my silly pregnant goats are stealing eggs from my nest boxes and eating them! I didn't expect goats woud like eggs, but these girls are hungry and craving protein I guess lol. Humans are not the only ones who get strange pregnancy cravings I suppose. I was already having trouble with one of them stealing my hens' food out of their feeder.

I hadn't had any eggs yet from some hens I bought, and they kept throwing the fake eggs out of the nest boxes, so I thought to try store bought eggs in there. This morning I found one broken on the ground a few feet away and mostly eaten. I thought I had an egg eating hen so I put more out and started watching them to see who did it... I just caught the goats having an egg dinner!

Guess I'll be building some more fencing tomorrow to make the chickens' area more goat-proof...if there is such a thing as goat-proof.

2. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    [​IMG]I know! I just got goats within the last month and have two whethers and just got 2 does this past weekend-they love the chicken pen. I know chicken feed is not good for them, but hard to keep them out! Especially since the boys are only 10-11 weeks old and still small-Nigerian Dwarfs-good luck with that! I let my chickens out each evening right before dusk for grazing...

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Goats are great, but they are definitely hard to contain. And do they ever love grain! lol I have to keep all of my grain in the house because of my girls, and they even manage to break into the house on occasion! They're in the chicken pen, in the garden, in each others' pens (my males and females are kept separately, but they love to break into the 'forbidden' pen that is not theirs!), in the cars, in the horse trailer, on top of the hay...They think they own everything. One of my does walked right into my mom's kitchen once when I took them for a visit. My mom thought it was so funny she took pictures and emailed them to everyone she knows.

Maybe the goats need more protein. I noticed they're stealing cat food too.

4. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Yuppers. They are definitely craving more protein. Mine want the chicken feed soooooooooooo bad. They practically mug me on the way to the coop when I have a bucket. It's all I can do to get inside without a goat and my biggest Nubian doe stands on her hind legs and peers in the window, bleating frantically.

Not a predator, but definitely a pest!

5. GooseGirl

GooseGirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2009
    I love my goats, but they are such little pains. We had to go to some extreme measures to make the chicken door goat proof. However, yours eating eggs is the first I have heard of that, but I can certainly believe it![​IMG]

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Silly goats.

I want some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by