Not feeling happy

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tinkestral, Aug 25, 2013.

1. tinkestral

tinkestral Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2013
    So here I am sat with one single chicken and the rest of the eggs still in the incubator doing zilch. This poor little chick has been in the nice warm brooder for 24 on his own. Feeling pretty gutted for it. So is it cruel for a little chick to be on its own because I am thinking if the eggs don't hatch I have a poor lonely chick x

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Ideally you should raise more than one chick at a time. Chickens are social creatures that do better in pairs or groups. While you wait for the rest of the eggs to hatch you put a mirror and a stuffed toy in there for it, so it can see it's reflection and have something to snuggle up to. When were your eggs due to hatch? Have you candled and tapped them to check for signs of life? I hold overdue eggs to my ear and tap them with my fingernail to check if there's a live chick in there. The chick usually responds by chirping, wiggling or tapping (pecking) back. You may need to tap more than once to get a reaction.

3. elliechooks

elliechooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    UK
    Some chicks really don't like to be alone, some people suggest putting a mirror and a cuddly toy in with the chick to make it feel it has company. I wouldn't suggest trying to keep just one lone chicken long-term but when I had a single chick hatch I just hatched some more - so when he was 3 weeks old he suddenly got some friends - then they all went out with the big girls together 4 weeks later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by