Not happy about breaking a broody!

MommA2K

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Central MN
I was hoping I wouldn’t have one go broody, but my suspicions were confirmed this morning.

I have a small flock of five hens, and as much as I would love to add, my responsibilities as a flock owner needs to trump my heart. It’s supposed to warm up in the next week so I’m hoping we can get started on our long to-do list that will be happening throughout the summer. New coop/run is on the list, but not towards the top.

I had two hens go broody last spring and they peacefully shared a clutch. I thought it would be fun to experiment so we got some fertilized eggs from a friend. I swore I wouldn’t intervene, let natural take it’s course. What do you think happened? I had to intervene. Ended up with an injured one in the house in a brooder. Another hen killing some of the chicks, having to separate them, and then having to buy two juveniles to be with the one lone chick I still had from that hatch (and that one lone chick, Ace, is the one who’s broody now)!

We just have too much going on that take priority to add to the flock at this point. Although it does make me a little giddy that spring is FINALLY almost here! Wish me luck!

Starting off by blocking off the box she was using. My two buffs checking out the new flock member 😆

Attachments

• 77CF80F7-9101-45B5-9843-F4E6D71B6D62.jpeg
    77CF80F7-9101-45B5-9843-F4E6D71B6D62.jpeg
    379.2 KB · Views: 13
  • C2AAB92C-B373-4E9A-B305-985C7CE0B60B.jpeg
    C2AAB92C-B373-4E9A-B305-985C7CE0B60B.jpeg
    431.1 KB · Views: 5
Why not use a crate to break her?
I didn’t have enough room. I put her in a crate inside our shed but the concrete slab was wet under her. With the below freezing temperatures and snow we’re getting now I didn’t want her to be sitting on that so I ended up putting her back in the coop last night and will have to work on it some more today.

Attachments

• EFE8EB0A-0C5E-40BA-969E-EC3BE7F5D74F.jpeg
    EFE8EB0A-0C5E-40BA-969E-EC3BE7F5D74F.jpeg
    904 KB · Views: 6
I didn’t have enough room. I put her in a crate inside our shed but the concrete slab was wet under her. With the below freezing temperatures and snow we’re getting now I didn’t want her to be sitting on that so I ended up putting her back in the coop last night and will have to work on it some more today.
Oh yeah there's a huge storm sweeping through the plains isn't there?

Crating her in the shed (with nights in coop), while not ideal, should still break her, just might take a little longer. If there's any nicer days in the forecast, I'd put her in the run/free range area, just so the flock doesn't "forget" her.

Back
Top Bottom