Not hot out, but female ducks are panting!

Hlmyers

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2023
Lately I have noticed that both my female ducks are panting a lot! Beak up, open, and breathing quickly. I will see them panting even when it's not very hot out!! They have lots of access to shade, cool grass/rocks, and THREE nice cool pools in the shade. Any ideas what could be going on?!

I have two females and two males, all hatched and raised together so they get along better than most 50/50 flocks. One male has been picking on one female some, but she has plenty of room to get away(although I'm sure it's still causing her stress!). They are just over 1yo, mutt ducks. Been vetted in recent months (after I lost their sister tragically) and are both overall healthy! But this panting is stressing ME out because they looks so uncomfortable!

*Both recently finished being broody, and one laid her first post-broody egg this morning. They eat purina duck food, lots of peas, and optional oyster shell

Lately I have noticed that both my female ducks are panting a lot! Beak up, open, and breathing quickly. I will see them panting even when it's not very hot out!! They have lots of access to shade, cool grass/rocks, and THREE nice cool pools in the shade. Any ideas what could be going on?!

I have two females and two males, all hatched and raised together so they get along better than most 50/50 flocks. One male has been picking on one female some, but she has plenty of room to get away(although I'm sure it's still causing her stress!). They are just over 1yo, mutt ducks. Been vetted in recent months (after I lost their sister tragically) and are both overall healthy! But this panting is stressing ME out because they looks so uncomfortable!

*Both recently finished being broody, and one laid her first post-broody egg this morning. They eat purina duck food, lots of peas, and optional oyster shell
Are they very loud ducks? I know that my ducks are just very loud and have their beaks open all the time to make noise 🤣 Are the males being rough with them? He could be stressing them out. I would keep an eye on them but it doesn't seem to serious unless they are gasping for air. Maybe give them some cold fruit if its hot outside.

Are they very loud ducks? I know that my ducks are just very loud and have their beaks open all the time to make noise 🤣 Are the males being rough with them? He could be stressing them out. I would keep an eye on them but it doesn't seem to serious unless they are gasping for air. Maybe give them some cold fruit if its hot outside.
Thanks for your response! They aren't making noise when they are doing it... they only do it when they are resting! When they all lay down for a nap, the boys tuck their heads back and snooze, but the girls keep their beaks up and pant. I took a video but im not sure how to upload it here! It's not deep heaving breaths, but very short, very fast breaths! I brought the girls inside yesterday just to see if it was a temp thing. It's about 70F inside and they STILL panted! I'm just a worry-wart after loosing my sweet Cookie duck in March!

One of the males can be a little ageessive with one of the ladies, depending on his mood that day! But the other female doesn't get picked on at all.

Thanks for your response! They aren't making noise when they are doing it... they only do it when they are resting! When they all lay down for a nap, the boys tuck their heads back and snooze, but the girls keep their beaks up and pant. I took a video but im not sure how to upload it here! It's not deep heaving breaths, but very short, very fast breaths! I brought the girls inside yesterday just to see if it was a temp thing. It's about 70F inside and they STILL panted! I'm just a worry-wart after loosing my sweet Cookie duck in March!

One of the males can be a little ageessive with one of the ladies, depending on his mood that day! But the other female doesn't get picked on at all.
I totally understand being afraid after loosing a pet, although from what your saying this doesn't seem too serious. If any more symptoms arise, just come right back! Best of luck :)

I totally understand being afraid after loosing a pet, although from what your saying this doesn't seem too serious. If any more symptoms arise, just come right back! Best of luck :)
Thanks so much for your replies! it's SOOOO hard for me to not worry.. they look so stressed when they do it! I did upload a little video to YouTube, if you could take a look and tell me what you think! It was taken jn the morning qhen it was about 75F out. The tail shot it just to show how FAST she is breathing. She definitely does it more than Xena(black).

Thanks so much for your replies! it's SOOOO hard for me to not worry.. they look so stressed when they do it! I did upload a little video to YouTube, if you could take a look and tell me what you think! It was taken jn the morning qhen it was about 75F out. The tail shot it just to show how FAST she is breathing. She definitely does it more than Xena(black).

They are so adorable! this seems like pretty normal behavior, my ducks do this to. If they have access to water and shade 24/7 I wouldn't worry too much.

Back
Top Bottom