not laying any eggs

lucymarcysally

Songster
6 Years
Jul 24, 2015
Kansas
I had 3 hens but my Columbian Wyandotte passed away suddenly about 3 weeks ago. Before she passed away the only ones laying were her and my Easter Egger. The Easter Egger had been picking on the Barred Rock and the Barred Rock has not laid any eggs since May. All 3 hens were getting along until the Easter Egger decided to start picking on the Barred Rock. I thought the Barred Rock wasn't laying because the Easter Egger had been picking on her and she was a bit stressed. Since the Columbian Wyandotte passed away the Easter Egger has decided to be friends with the Barred Rock again like they used to be. That part is good. Will the Barred Rock ever start laying again?
They are both 4 1/2 years old.
The Easter Egger has slowed down on her egg laying recently. It's too early for molting season here so I don't think that is it. At what age do they start slowing down with egg laying?
I miss my Wyandotte, she was the sweetest of the 3 but I want these 2 to be happy and healthy. The Barred Rock follows me around like a puppy dog.

What are you feeding? I recommend a ration with 18-20% to optimize laying. I recommend an All Flock ration or a non medicated starter grower with a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs.

How big is your coop and run? Being crowded, and not having enough room to move around and get away from each other can cause aggression.

I apologize; I didn't think to mention it but they have free range of the back yard so there is plenty of room, shade, water, shelter places. And they can hang out in the coop if they want to. They are on Purina Layena with the oyster shell. I can't remember the exact name of the feed. They don't get overloaded with chicken treats but I will give them occasional treats like corn, blueberries, strawberries, lettuce (in winter), yogurt, mealworms or chicken treats.

I didn't think to mention it but they have free range of the back yard
They may be laying out in range area.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I don't think that's it either. I walk the yard every day checking for new hiding places and I haven't found anything. My coonhound hasn't found any hiding spots either because she would have grabbed the egg and eaten it. That's the bad part; the good part is the broken shell would be near where she found the egg so I would at least know where to look.
I'm stumped, Lucy just stopped laying in May and I keep hoping she'll start again. maybe when the weather starts feeling like Fall she'll decide to lay again. Thank you for your suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom