Not laying as many eggs

nicolette

Chirping
Jul 25, 2016
Last year after the days got longer. Iv was getting 10-13 eggs a day. I have 16 hens. 1 have a batch of chickens that are 2 years & 1 years. Now this summer I'm getting 5-7 eggs a day. Although our weather has been kinda up & down in temp. We have a few days off 70's, high 80's to few days high 90's to 100. Does fluctuation of the weather cause then not to lay very many? I was anxious to get the eggs I was getting last year. But kinda confused when started not getting as many this year. What would be the cause?

So even 2 years old their slowing down? How long do chickens last in egg laying?
Some sill lay good a 2 bu some star slowing down. I've heard most farmers that sell eggs usually slaugther them afer their 2nd year of laying. I think that it all depends on he chicken really. Some breeds are bred to lay eggs just about every day for the first year or 2.

If they are free ranging, they may be hiding their eggs. I found 32 eggs last week in my pasture under a bush.
they are free range but they werent in the beginning they had a coop with nest & a run outside. But now they are free ranged chickens & they just go to their run & coop @ night. If the theyve layed eggs being in run & chicken coop. Would they continue?

I would coop them up for a time to re-habituate them to laying in the coop and see if they are laying or not.
Then maybe think about testing for worms and looking for other reasons.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days (or longer) can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom