Not laying in egg boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Urbanchicken62, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Urbanchicken62

Urbanchicken62 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    Kingston, TN
    EE dropped her first egg in the run yesterday and it went unnoticed. It was a little odd shaped. The second one was dropped in the coop this morning and is a perfectly shaped olive green egg!
    They were both tasty and the shells were hard as a rock. I just started putting oyster shell in the run last week.
    They were laid at exactly 19 weeks. We added 2 hours of light in the am and pm and that apparently does work. We have a BR and a RIR that are the same age that have been doing the squat for a little over a week. They started doing it a day or two after the EE, so we should have more eggs shortly. Our Buff Rocks and our Australorp don't show any sign of squatting yet.
    I put plastic eggs in their egg boxes, so hopefully they will have better aim with their eggs soon.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. FenikT

FenikT Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2012
    My EE dropped her first egg in the run also about 10 days ago. I noticed a muddy object in the run in the afternoon and found a teal colored egg. I have two EEs, so it was a 50/50 on who did it. Next day there was a teal colored egg in the nest box and a light brown egg on the coop floor. My other girls (three cornish) all lay dark brown eggs, so I knew the other EE was laying too. I got my EEs "used" and suspect they were hatched in July sometime, so that puts them around 24 weeks or so. Now I know who is laying what (top eggs is EE named Stinky and further egg on left is EE named Goldie, similar in color to yours).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  3. Urbanchicken62

Sep 17, 2012
    Kingston, TN
    So the golf ball did the trick?

4. Urbanchicken62

Sep 17, 2012
    Kingston, TN
    3rd egg dropped in the nesting box early this morning. Smart birds!
    The girls were very excited to show off the new egg.
    The rest of them need to get their acts together!

5. Urbanchicken62

Sep 17, 2012
    Kingston, TN
    [​IMG]
    Ok!

Now 3 of our other girls are getting into the act and joining our EE laying eggs. Today, right at week 21, our Barred Rock, RIR, and I guess one of our Buff Rocks laid their first eggs.The Buffs haven't been squatting and neither has our Australorp, so I am not really sure who the third brown egg belongs to.

6. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    [​IMG] thats always so satisfying :)

7. Urbanchicken62

Sep 17, 2012
    Kingston, TN
    I looked at your profile picture and what an intense flock of birds! You have some beautiful chickens!

8. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by