not laying in nesting box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenkate17, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    My SS laid her first egg yesterday, and second today....she laid them in her run underneath the ramp to the coop. I figured she felt safe there. Should I let her keep laying there? Move her eggs into the nesting box?

2. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    Its better if she lays them in the nesting box (if that's where you want them!) What I did with mine was lock them into the coop for about 3 days. They got the idea. Put golf balls in the nesting box, and make sure it's clean! She'll figure it out! Congrats on your first eggs!!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wouldn't lock her in. Just put golf balls or other fake eggs in there and give her about a month to get used to the idea of laying eggs.

4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I agree with above posters. You want them laying in the nest boxes not just anywhere. lock them up, they will get the idea.

5. bledsoe95

bledsoe95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    Oakwood, Virginia
    Put fake eggs in the nest and she will get the idea, i wouldnt want here laying under the run because the egg might bust and the chickens will start eating them and thats one hard habit to break.

6. CorgiHouse

CorgiHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Boring, OR
    So how about one who lays on the floor inside the house......just a couple feet from the nesting boxes? I have golf balls in all the nests, they are lined with clean hay and all the other hens and pullets use them fine. Any suggestions?

7. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mine were laying in the nests for weeks and then started laying in the barn (which isn't safe, we're taking it down soon). Anyway I moved the eggs into the nests, blocked off the barn and I made little privacy curtains on the nesting boxes! Worked really well [​IMG]

8. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    I'm going to have to try the golf ball idea. We found our very first egg the other day from my 5 month old EE, in the middle of the floor in the run. Luckily it was in good shape. Two days later, we found her 2nd egg far away from the coop, next to my storage shed and yard tools. It was much larger....but cracked. I feel like I'm going to be on an 'easter egg' hunt (ha ha) everyday if they don't start learning to lay in the nest box!

9. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    the egg trick works, I have friends who do that before they start to lay so they know, and locking them up too sounds mean but when they learn and never have to again, like being grounded for chickens...

10. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Two of my Marans just started laying and they both missed the nest box. One of the big girls had knocked the ping pong balls out of the box and under the roosts. The little ones laid their eggs right next to them [​IMG] I put them back in the boxes and sure enough, they laid their second eggs in the box... So it does work... For mine at least!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by