Not laying in nesting boxes.

acid_chipmunk

Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
My chickens have never layed in their nest boxes. They actually lay at the opposite end of the coop from where the boxes are. It is kind of frustrating, but I guess as long as we can get to the eggs and they are laying, it doesn't matter.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there anyway to "fix" them so they lay in the boxes?

chickens go to small dark places where they feel secure to lay their eggs, at least they used to. its pretty much been bred out of them, i'd suggest getting used to picking them up off the floor rather than trying 101 solutions that probably won't work.

I think chickens are very visual. Try leaving a couple of eggs in the nest boxes over night. The nights are pretty cold still, they'll probably be fine, or try the golf ball trick and leave a couple of those in there and maybe they'll get the hint. Mine have never layed anywhere other than the nest boxes.
idunno.gif

I had the same problem. I put golf balls in the nest boxes and left the eggs in a little bit longer. They all figured it out and are laying in the nest boxes.

Golf balls have always worked for me. I recently acquired an entire flock that, before they came here, were laying their eggs on the coop floor, even with nest boxes available. I hung milk crates, filled them with straw and added a golf ball to each. They immediately started using them and have never looked back!

Ditto on golf balls. Mine will lay in which ever nest I put the most golf balls in. To encourage them, I suggest putting several golf balls (3 or so) in at least one nest. My mothers hen has two nest boxes to choose from. One has 2 golf balls in it. One has two ceramic (well I am not sure what they are made of) eggs in it. Mother hen always lays her egg in the nest box with the egg look a-likes.

We tried the golf ball and plastic egg trick, didn't work. We have an "A" frame tractor, so picking them off the coop floor isn't hard since it is chest height. I would just really like them to lay in the boxes.

I like the milk crate idea, I may have to try that! Thanks!

Also, these girls are a year old, so it isn't like they just started laying and need to figure it out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom