Not laying where they should be....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eggcamefirst, Nov 26, 2011.

1. eggcamefirst

eggcamefirst Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    I have 2 BO's, 3 BRs and 1 EE and a Rooster BO. The BR's have used the nest boxes (in the coop) to lay their eggs for a few weeks. Yesterday I went out and found 4 eggs on the floor of the run in the sand! They were from the BO's and the EE. Today I found another blue egg in the run AND one inside the coop in the shavings AND one in the nest box. Will the BR's "show" the others where to lay? How do I break these habits?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Try a couple of things. Put a golf ball or two in the nests. This gives them a visual cue. Also, I find it helpful to keep them cooped up for a few days when they start laying well. They'll get used to laying in the box. Once they "master" this, they'll be trustworthy to come back into the coop and lay when released. They'll catch on.

3. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Fred's Hens :

Try a couple of things. Put a golf ball or two in the nests. This gives them a visual cue. Also, I find it helpful to keep them cooped up for a few days when they start laying well. They'll get used to laying in the box. Once they "master" this, they'll be trustworthy to come back into the coop and lay when released. They'll catch on.

I always like the advice Fred's hens gives for laying questions... My girls all started by laying their eggs in the corner, on the floor, and after they have mastered the art of egg then they move to the buckets. Most of them, anyways, I have two newbies that fight over the perfect corner spot [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  4. eggcamefirst

Mar 14, 2010
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    What about the one that is starting to lay on the floor of the coop? Will she come around?

Also is it normal for the hens to scratch out all the straw? Its kind of annoying....

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    My girls scratched and removed most of the shavings; and I kept putting the shavings back. They eventually stopped the nonsense. Don't know if that is typical or not.[​IMG]

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Take a 1x3 or 1x4 and make a barrier on the lower, front of the box. This tends to "help" in keeping the straw/chips in the box. Now, nothing is fool proof, as young pullets are what they are.

7. eggcamefirst

Mar 14, 2010
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    I already have a 2x4 on the base of the nest box and they were still scratching it out.

I put a golf ball in each box with new straw and that seemed to help, they stopped scratching as much and I have only found 1 egg in the run since....I am hoping they will get the idea.

8. mychoock

mychoock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
    I have nine hens who just started laying this fall, right before the cold dark winter days set in. Most of the eggs land in the nest boxes, but there are always some on the floor, and the other day three eggs were nestled nicely in the corner under the roost.
    I do have golf balls in all four of the nest boxes, but I don't know what else to do. I am willing to wait for the girls to figure it out, but if I can hurry up that process, I would welcome any advice.
    Thanks

9. AshleyBickle

AshleyBickle Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    I am having the same problem! I only have three hens though and two started laying just two days ago and so fat haven't used the best boxes I've provided nicely for them. They seem to think that the corner under the roosting poles are a better spot. I made the nest boxes all fluffy with pine shavings and straw and I even put two golf balls in each best box and they are not interested. Hoping they catch on soon but trying to find other ways to make them move to the nesting boxes.

Was wondering maybe if I put a board down in the corner they are laying in to help convince them to move, yea it will probably make then irritated but hope it will convince them to move else where rather than on the board. What do you think, looking for any advise also as I'm In the same boat even though this isn't my thread.

10. mychoock

mychoock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
    I am now resigned to some hens laying in the corner, as well as in the nesting boxes. I just gather eggs from where ever they are. The hens are consistent about using the same corner of the floor, so I guess they think it is a nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by