Not laying?

Micmac1234

Songster
Apr 13, 2021
Colorado
This is my first flock so maybe this is common but…
I have 8 chickens, all who hatched in April and there’s only 4 who are laying!
I know they sometimes take a break in winter but they never started laying! There are 3 consistently laying and now 1 who I believe just started.
I have 2 whiting true blues, 2 wyandottes, 2 buff rocks, and 2 australorps. So they’re all high production birds egg laying wise.

Any thoughts???

How do you know which ones are laying? (There are several ways to tell, but some ways can be fooled more easily than others.)

I've seen some times when pullets wait until spring to start.

I've also seen times when I thought one was laying every day, but it was really two who were laying on alternate days.

I've also had pullets who were hiding eggs, so I didn't know about them until I found the whole clutch.

If you haven't already read this article, you might want to:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
It tells how to examine a chicken and tell if she is laying or not.
(This is one of the more reliable ways to tell if she is laying.)

I got two silver laced wyandottes in August of this past year and they stopped laying because of the cold. As a matter of fact only half of my girls are laying consistently right now. They probably will get back into their groove and start laying for you in the spring. Good luck!

How do you know which ones are laying? (There are several ways to tell, but some ways can be fooled more easily than others.)

I've seen some times when pullets wait until spring to start.

I've also seen times when I thought one was laying every day, but it was really two who were laying on alternate days.

I've also had pullets who were hiding eggs, so I didn't know about them until I found the whole clutch.

If you haven't already read this article, you might want to:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
It tells how to examine a chicken and tell if she is laying or not.
(This is one of the more reliable ways to tell if she is laying.)
I’ll definitely check out that article!
One way I know for sure is the whiting true blues lay blue eggs and I’ve caught one of them in the nesting box multiple times. Her eggs have also significantly increased in size so I know it’s just her.

The reason I think a fourth is laying is because I randomly had a fourth egg in the box when I consistently have 3, sometimes 2, and the fourth was very small - it was pretty obvious it was a “first egg”.

I’ll definitely check out that article!
One way I know for sure is the whiting true blues lay blue eggs and I’ve caught one of them in the nesting box multiple times. Her eggs have also significantly increased in size so I know it’s just her.

The reason I think a fourth is laying is because I randomly had a fourth egg in the box when I consistently have 3, sometimes 2, and the fourth was very small - it was pretty obvious it was a “first egg”.
It sounds like you are probably right about how many are laying, so the rest are likely waiting for longer days before they start.

I once had a flock that was hatched in late June, and I got the first egg on the last day of November. The slowest pullet finally started laying in April. Yes, I did have a variety of breeds, and some were NOT known as good layers, but some of the "better" layers waited longer to start.

Last edited:
I have 8 hens and 3 pullets. The pullets were hatched in late July and JUST started laying last week. Those 3 and 1 of my Silkies are the only ones laying currently. The others are waiting for more daylight. I should mention that we live in a heavily wooded area on the eastern slope of a valley. The sun rises at 7:30a and our little valley is dark by 4:30p. My flock is asleep by 5:30p. Not nearly enough daylight for my older girls.

It sounds like you are probably right about how many are laying, so the rest are likely waiting for longer days before they start.

I once had a flock hat was hatched in late June, and I got the first egg on the last day of November. The slowest pullet finally started laying in April. Yes, I did have a variety of breeds, and some were NOT known as good layers, but some of the "better" layers waited longer to start.
Got it! So I guess if they still aren’t laying with the longer days, then I will worry!

Back
Top Bottom