Not laying?

I have 8 hens and 3 pullets. The pullets were hatched in late July and JUST started laying last week. Those 3 and 1 of my Silkies are the only ones laying currently. The others are waiting for more daylight. I should mention that we live in a heavily wooded area on the eastern slope of a valley. The sun rises at 7:30a and our little valley is dark by 4:30p. My flock is asleep by 5:30p. Not nearly enough daylight for my older girls.
We’re in colorado so our daylight isn’t quite as short but it’s pretty close! I was just surprised since none of mine are older. I also thought these breeds laid their first egg sooner than this regardless of daylight.

We’re in colorado so our daylight isn’t quite as short but it’s pretty close! I was just surprised since none of mine are older. I also thought these breeds laid their first egg sooner than this regardless of daylight.
I hear ya! I was actually surprised my 3 newest girls (an Orpington, a Naked Neck, and a Spitzhauben) started laying at all. I was pretty sure they'd wait until days got a little longer. It's so hard to predict laying of any breed, in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom