Not laying

barngem

Songster
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Northern Michigan
I am new to chickens well at least only a year or 2
I have this pretty little hen and for a 1 or better she has layed an egg a day but now she is not laying. She layed one around easter and that was the end of it. I dont really care but I want to make sure she is getting what she needs
I feed her laying mash, scratch feed, and she has oyster shells, she free ranges a few hours a week and she gets lettuce tomatoes, apples, that kind of thing.
Any thoughts?
Maybe she is just sick of laying since she has been so busy for so long

I dont know how old she is cause I bought her from the local farm market. At that time she had some chicks(the darn weasle got them) but that was not last summer but the summer before. I gave her a couple fertile eggs to set and she hatched one and now i have a little rooster that is just a year. I think she is a bantam bramah. She is a pretty good mother hen I am getting some chicks and I am thinking she might take them under her wing Anyone have a hen do that?

She only free ranges an hour or two every couple days not laying outside I know that for sure. I dont dare leave them out unless i am around the barn. Too many preditors in our area.
She molted last fall.
My rooster molted this spring but that was his first molt

Back
Top Bottom