not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ange, Jan 14, 2010.

1. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    Can anyonetell me why my rir 9 months old, have not started laying nyet? They have a nice roost, which they use, and nesting boxes, with saw wood shavings, I never see them in there, but there is poop there, so. maybe they are usingf it for a potty, I DO NOT KNOW. And if one is eatting it, how would I know, I do not see residue, and have stopped letting them free range, except about l hour before dusk. They have red waffles and combs, I think that is what they arer called, I am new to this, but love m,y girls. I need advice.

2. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    are they getting enough light to lay during the day. they need about 14 hrs of light to lay eggs . the days are getting longer. some chickens take longer to lay then others.

3. julymc

julymc New Egg

Apr 7, 2009
    I am with you. I have some hens that are several years old and a few that are just two years old. But I have several that are seven months old. They are all toghther. I have had a light on them for the last two weeks. If you find any advice, please pass it on to me. I am about ready to sell out. It has been about 5 months since I received an egg .[​IMG]

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    Some take a while to start laying. If it is cold where you are they won't lay . some breeds barred rocks, cochins, wynadottes, lay year round. if you put your hand on their back do they squat down ? if so they are getting close. also the feathers on their necks get "bright" shinier. are they on layer feed with free choice oyster shells ? hope this helps

5. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Don't give up hope! One of my EE laid her first egg last week and she is 9months old. Her sister and an Ameraucana (10months old)hasn't laid yet...

What are you feeding them? They need protien that averages out to be at least 16% (if you are feeding corn or other stuff with lower protien % it will dilute the feed %)... I look for high % of protien in everything I feed them.. Give them a good quaility laying feed=pellets or crumbles//

Light effects them but I haven't had a problem with that.. Most people say they need 14 hours but my girls are getting 10-11 and haven't slowed at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by