Not liking coop?

This is the old shed. I was keeping the doors closed but I guess I should leave them open. But should I leave them open at night or close them... it's predator proof with the sliding doors open and the screened ones shut

Last edited:
This is the old shed. I was keeping the doors closed but I guess I should leave them open. But should I leave them open at night or close them... it's predator proof with the sliding doors open and the screened ones shut

What I would do with that, is build a solid wood frame for the doorway. Then, build a pair of wood framed, hardware clothed screen doors. Then build a pair of solid wood paneled doors, that can be opened and closed, as weather and time of year, requires. Check out the pic below. I made that screen door out of 1X4", and 1X6" pine, sandwiching a hardware cloth screen. And the outside door is 2X4"s and 1/2" ply.

900x900px-LL-d3fba887_55557_img_1363.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree completely with JackE
I would also like to caution, not knowing where you live but if you are where there are predators, chicken wire keeps chickens in but not predators out.
Raccoons laugh at it.

I slide the metal doors shut at night and shut the wire doors as well. I guess I could put some sort of lock to keep raccoons out. I live downtown so I think it will be only be raccoons to worry about since our yard is fenced in and the dog keeps most of the predators out of the yard

OK, so the metal doors may keep the raccoons out if they can't open them. But, with the doors closed in a metal building, where is the ventilation?

So what your saying canoe is I need to leave the metal doors open just beef up my wooden frame with hardware cloth?

Cut some holes in the walls and doors for windows. Frame them up and cover with hardware cloth.
By ceiling vent, do you mean in the roof? Wouldn't rain get in?
Gable vents are good too. I have a ridge vent on a couple buildings. I like them but they're worthless when covered with snow.

Back
Top Bottom