Not Mareks - could it be Bumblefoot?

Hens_And_Chicks

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Ohio
Last week I posted about my BR Pullet - about 22 weeks old - suddenly developing a pronounced limp and then proceeding a few days later to just sitting in one spot - not moving - not able to walk.

She is not paralyzed - she can still flap her wings and move her feet and legs and is able to clutch my fingers with her toes - there is no evidence of injury, no swelling or heat. She is laying an egg every day and is bright eyed and talkative - just won't stand on her right foot - the toes are are all very close together - they were curled back but seem to be straightening out now.

Initially, I thought she may have been injured by one of the roos taking a ride (bad roo). I don't know - I don't have a coop - they are in a 8x8 wire pen on pine shavings over a rubber floor mat.

Does Bumblefoot always result in an open sore? I'm a new chicken mom and don't know all there is to know - I know I'm finding out more than I thought I needed to know.

Would anyone recommend following Gail Damerow's suggestion for injecting 0.5ml penicillin into the foot or is that a bad idea to treat for something not confirmed?

I think there is usually at least swelling, but I can't say for sure. I wouldn't use antibiotics without knowing for sure. She may have sprained or twisted something, and a needle stuck in there might make it worse. I had a turkey with bumble foot that didn't have an open sore, but it was swollen. We had to make an incision and remove the infection. We then packed the foot with neosporin and kept it bandaged for a few days.

Sadly, I have never seen a confirmed case of Bumblefoot without an open wound - the "pad" does seem puffy but the pullet does not act like it hurts if I palpate.

horsejody, do you have more info on what it looks like and how did you know you needed to open it and drain it?

Quote:
It was a hard lump and the turkey was having a very difficult time walking. The skin over it was very dark, like bruising. An experienced poultry/turkey person I met on another poultry forum gave me detailed instructions since no area vet would see her. I sterilized a razor blade. DH held her and I operated. She was actually a very calm patient. I cleaned the entire foot with betadine soap. Then made an incision with my clean razor blade. I gently squeezed out all puss and goo. She actually had a small encapsulated cyst-like thing that came out. She probably had gotten a sliver and her skin healed over it and got infected and her body created a sort of casing over the sliver. I then put neosporin on it and bandaged it. I had to check it every day. After a day it looked icky again (she got the bandage off), and I had to remove the scab and clean it again and use more neosporin. After that, I just checked it and kept the bandage clean.

If the bird doesn't have a very obvious scab, lump or swelling, I wouldn't assume it was bumblefoot.

Back
Top Bottom