Not my best of days, but we got a puppy....

Quail_Antwerp

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Ohio
We took 3 hens in to the auction this morning. As we were loading up our cage this woman runs up to us and says, "Wait, you forgot to put this puppy in that cage first!" I turned and she's holding out this real tiny black puppy with a white chin. I was like aww...you know how it is when you see a baby of anything right?

Well next thing I know she's dropped this puppy in my hands and starts blabbering how it's 6 weeks old...blah blah blah...I honestly DID tune her out after I heard it's free...because I am looking this puppy over and I could tell it was only 3 or 4 weeks old...waaaaaaaaaaaaay to young to leave mom yet. Obviously full of worms and fleas and badly dehydrated. Eyes are still cloudy like that of a pup who had recently just opened their eyes. :thun
somad.gif

I mentioned this to her and she says, "Oh, I got her from my boyfriend last night and he said she is 6 weeks but I don't really know. I said I didn't want her so he told me to bring her to the auction and give her away. He said someone would want her."

I said, "Fine, in that case, she's mine." Then she said she had wormed her so don't be surprise if she passed worms later.

We run up to TSC and I bought a couple cans of soft puppy food and I bought a shallow two sided dish for her to eat out of. I have a recipe for homemade puppy formula so as soon as we had got home I put water in one side of the dish and the other side I gave her a bit of puppy formula mixed with some soft food. She drank a little water and ate all of the food mix.

I am also giving her some plain pedialyte to help rehydrate her.

Her mother was a beagle and her father a black lab. The lady had said there was 9 in the litter. I can't help wondering what happend to the other eight.
rant.gif

I don't have a problem with responsible breeders, or even people who have an accidental litter as long as they take responsibility and find GOOD homes for them.

Anyway, I've named her Casey, and as soon as I can get her in to my vets office she will be getting the once over and in a few weeks shots started.

So, here's Casey. Isn't she tiny?
14550_100_1735.jpg

awww! what a sweatie! give her a few weeks you'll miss her being so tiny! we brought our puppy home and she was only five weeks. (we where out looking at houses and the neighbor had free puppies,and if i didnt take her,who would?) well the first month was ruff,but now youd never tell!

Grrr... I HATE hearing stories like that! Irritates me to no end! I probably would've punched that lady in the face... and given her a good lecture to take back to her stupid boyfriend!

I hate the fact that some people are so misinformed & they just take on an animal w/out doing ANY kind of research first!! Why do you think there are millions of puppies/dogs wasting away in shelters?! B/c some people are just SO stupid! I've heard time & time again that people want to bring home a puppy at 6 weeks b/c they heard that getting a puppy early is best so that they can bond to their owner. No, no, NO!!! A puppy needs to stay with its dam & littermates for at LEAST 8 weeks - preferably longer. They learn much-needed skills from their littermates & their mother. And don't even get me started on the fact that she's a mix. We all know this came about b/c the owners of the Beagle & the Lab didn't have the decency to get them fixed (and most likely both parents of this litter were not up to standard)!

OK, OK.. I'm done with my rant! *LOL*

Anyhoo... the pup is adorable & I'm thankful that a person with a brain is taking care of her now. Kudos to you for taking her in.

Last edited:
Thank God you ended up with her and not another creep! I try to understand that people are ignorant, but it is hard when you hear stories like that :thun

Usually my husband is quick to say no to a free puppy/kitten etc, but I think he saw something in my face that warned him, and he didn't say a thing! He knew I was going home with Casey no matter what he said or thought.

Quote:
My mom breeds kittens
roll.png
but she will not let them go any sooner than 10 weeks. When mama starts kickin them in the head when they try to nurse, it is time for them to leave the nest
sad.png

Quote:
I must get that look too......because mine knows when he can and cannot tell me no
big_smile.png

You tell him! I can't wait to get married so I can boss my husband around
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom