Not new to backyard chickens... just new to the BYC forum!

lungewhipqueen

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Cleveland, MO
I'm SO diggin the template! So I will fill it out as follows...

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Nope, not new to chickens. For as long as I can recall my family had chickens. I moved to the city for a brief 2-3 year stint about 10 or 11 years ago, and as soon as we CONSIDERED moving back to the boonies we ordered chicks and ended up with a dog crate full of Ostralorp chicks in the kitchen till we moved to our little farmette.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Currently I have 5 chickens and 2 ducks. Actually.. All of the birds I have currently were give aways. Three were given to me by a friend who had to move to town and couldn't keep her critters. Two were rescues. Yes, rescues. Abandoned by their owner when they moved this winter. The two ducks are Muscovies that are offspring of Scovies that were given to me by a friend a couple years ago.

(3) What breeds do you have?
I have a GORGEOUS Blue Orpington rooster and a lovely Blue hen, a Light Brahma hen, a Polish hen (black w/white head) and a mystery red hen. She and the Polish were the rescues, so I have no idea what breed little red henny penny actually is. And of course, the two Muscovy hens.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
The friend who gave me the Blues and the Brahma came to visit yesterday and she mentioned where she'd gotten the eggs that the blue rooster came from. She said she was on a site called barnyard chickens or something, and that a lady from Georgia had sent her some eggs from some very well bred chickens. Specifically, a Blue Orpington rooster. I got online tonight and googled "Blue Orpington" and Georgia. BYC was the first link that popped up and I thought I'd go ahead and join! Surely this is the site she meant?!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I used to raise Quarterponies, but now I just have my little herd for fun. I don't raise foals anymore as the economy just can't support them right now. I enjoy playing in my barn, working around the farm, playing with my small herd of goaties (my first kids this year!). Besides outdoor hobbies, I spend a lot of time obsessing over my Irish Wolfhound pup... and I LOVE to sing. Karaoke is a blast, but I've had my stint with a country band and have done some singing at our local Opry.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I am the mother of two, a daughter who's nearly 21 and a 9 year old son. My daughter made me a grandmother almost a year ago... Owen is the sweetest baby ever. (I'm sure I couldn't be biased). I got engaged last year after dating my honey for just over a year. I've decided he only proposed to placate me for another year... but it's been almost a year and a half since he popped the question... so now what? lol. He has two boys ages 6 and 11, but both are looking forward to birthdays soon. We all live together (minus my daughter and grandson, and the boys are part time) on 7.5 acres in Missouri. We have 9 horses/ponies who reside here with us, as well as 5 adult goats and three kids (so far). The chickens and ducks, a big white Flemish Giant rabbit named Lilly, a cinnamon pearl cockatiel and two dogs. Junior, an almost 13yr old Walker hound mix... and Graham, a 9 month old Irish Wolfhound. Oh! and the barn cats... old Skylar and brothers Cowboy and Frederick!

I'm not sure if I should say I'm a stay at home mom, or that I work for a moving/storage company in KC. I work when needed. How's that? For three weeks I worked my tail into the ground, but this last week I've been home working my tail into the ground here! I prefer doing it here. If only I could get PAID for it too!

I'm looking forward to meeting others here, and it would be really cool if I could figure out who my Blue Orpingtons came from originally. I can't wait to start reading the posts!

Take care,
Teresa ... in Missouri
smile.png

(I have a little website... but I realize I can't post the link for it yet)

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. Sounds like a great farmette you have going. I think you will like it here. There are a lot of great folks here ready to help whenever they can.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom