Not ocular mareks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MiddleWoods, Feb 1, 2017.

1. MiddleWoods

MiddleWoods Just Hatched

Jan 4, 2017
    Australia
    I hope I'm not doing anything wrong here, if so mods please delete. On a well known chicken page I saw a picture of a chicken with spots on her iris, well at least it looked that way to me.

I've only lately gotten into researching signs and symptoms etc of all the different chicken diseases so of course I thought it could be mareks [​IMG] The owner of the page said it wasn't, and they seem to know what they are talking about.

Edit: I did notice it doesn't have the grey colouring, its only spots.

So I'm wondering if you often see this kind of thing without it being mareks (just like every time I get a cough it doesn't mean I have lung cancer :)).

I have taken a small crop of their photo which I've posted below. If this isn't allowed then please delete.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    I'm not an expert on chicken diseases, but I do know that markings of the eye not only can be disease related but can also be related to genetics, coloration, and other causes. Just like some dogs can have blue eyes, others yellow and others brown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by