Not quite understanding the blue genetics

I have 2 blue pullets that are laying very sporadically and smaller eggs than the barred rock girls, which is one reason Im wanting to breed the laying son of a guns barred hens to the blue roo, to get some of those good laying genes back. I will have the occassional egg from the blue pullet, About the only way that I will know which is hers, is if one blue, black, or splash non-barred roo shows up, Ill know its hers. I have 2 gorgeous splash pullets in with Mr. B, but he doesnt show any interest in them. Im wondering if, even tho they are 6 months old, that they arent laying yet, which is why he's not breeding them.

Thanks Hawke, I think you have it down pat.

I was pondering if there was some twisted way to get rid of the barring in future generations.

I have a rooster from a 'barred roo over solid hen cross' (BR x blue Ameraucana) that the barring is veryvery faint.
He's marked more like my lemon blue with the barring gene Cochin roo (minus the lemon, of course) and that Cochin throws solid and cuckoo cockerels when mated with solid hens.
Hehehe! Don't even have the eggs yet and already planning.

wink.png
Kathy! Remember me when you have eggs from Mr B and a blue girl.

Thanks,
smile.png

Lisa
edited to add:Jinx!

Last edited:
I have 2 blue pullets that are laying very sporadically and smaller eggs than the barred rock girls, which is one reason Im wanting to breed the laying son of a guns barred hens to the blue roo, to get some of those good laying genes back.

This sounds like a very good plan to me. I'm thinking that the hens from this cross, when they are bred back to Mr. B, are gonna produce some really nice-sized eggs and some great-looking chicks, and you will have made a nice jump forward in the quality of your stock.

Can't wait to see how it all turns out! Aren't you glad we are breeding chickens and not, oh, horses where you have to wait YEARS to find out if you guessed right?

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom